All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Campestre Aleman?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

Job/hobbies : Importing Quality Mexican Products

Campestre Aleman? Empty
PostCampestre Aleman?

Campestre Aleman? Mapa
Campestre Aleman? DSCN0709
While I have read recommendations on this restaurant numerous times, we have never managed to dine there. I just pulled up their website and no mention is made of their days of operation nor the times they are open. Anyone have any insight on these questions? Realizing that food is a subjective subject - anyone have any particular entrees that they would recommend?

Just trying to formulate a few ideas and plans for our August trip.

http://www.campestrealeman.com/paginas/carta.html
Back to top Go down
http://Coming Soon: www.HaciendaMagnifico.com
Share this post on: reddit

Campestre Aleman? :: Comments

Peter
Re: Campestre Aleman?
Post Sat 11 Jun 2011, 16:22 by Peter
I believe their hours are 12:30 - 7pm, 7 days a week, and their sign says Open 364 days a year. Doesn't say which day they are closed.

Last edited by Peter on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 18:25; edited 1 time in total
cheenagringo
Post Sat 11 Jun 2011, 16:29 by cheenagringo
Thanks Peter! I was kind of figuring on going there for lunch one day as I usually try to avoid driving around dinner time. And then I fully read your post and see that they close at 7PM.
Peter
Post Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:13 by Peter
You also asked about the food. They have a full page of trout specialties prepared just about every way you could think of. Their other specialty is the German sausages.

In the past couple trips I have been ordering the assorted German sausages place that comes with garlic bread. this is a large appetizer to be shared. That would be our main course and we would start with soups or pasta and finish with a dessert sometimes. Just depending, we might add another appetizer depending on our soup or pasta choice and hunger-factor. If you go the sausages route - recommended by many - make sure to get the large, assorted platter. By not making myself clear once I ended up with the smaller white sausages plate. Those were good too in addition to ordering again to get the larger platter also.

Tere likes the mushroom soup and I favor their pistacchio soup. These are ordered and served apart from the full meals and I suggest soups rather than pasta as those seemed rather pedestrian.

They also have rabbit which I have ordered a couple times. Their carnes are good also. Most things come as full meals and I am not crazy about some of the side garnishes served in places particularly if they are trying to Americanize. Even though most dishes specify their accompaniments you can ask them for the Mexican ones and they will accomodate. This is what I usually do.

The grilled chicken breasts are good and come in a couple options. I advise against the Cordon Bleu variation as that had no particular pizzaz. I have never had anything there I didn't like at all but there were some things that stood out more than others. I already mentioned my take on those I know. Even if the food was crappy, which it is not, the ambiance of the place is reason enough to to go.

Off to the far side you will notice a very nice playground. I have never seen it get overly noisey but bear in mind the possibility and there are plenty of tables far-removed from that side of the restaurant. Typically it is very quiet when we've been there but weekends can get busier.

A favorite spot and one that Dawg endorses also, perhaps the only one in Michoacán.

cheenagringo
Post Mon 27 Jun 2011, 13:05 by cheenagringo
Thanks Peter!

I had looked at the menu and had it in my mind that I would be ordering an entree that was definitely German. From prior travels to Germany, I have always leaned towards a mixed platter of various sausages. I am guessing that Kathy will lean towards the trout.

Since I have never spent time taking photos of the food in restaurants, I have been studying "The Don's" compositions in an attempt to educate myself. This is another aspect of our Mexico travels that I am going to learn to document.
Don Cuevas
Post Tue 28 Jun 2011, 06:19 by Don Cuevas
Me gusta sauerbraten, pero hecho en casa.

I can grill a sausage and heat sauerkraut with the best of them. Or make kartoffelsalat. So, that's one reason I haven't eaten yet at Campestre Aleman.

By the way, there's a Slovenian origin woman, Andrea, in Eronga, who makes the best sauerkraut. She should be at the Feria Alternativa, or whatever they now call it, on the Eronga Plaza on Sunday, July 3. She also makes Eastern European pastries, like strudel. (It's not bad, although mine is much better.)
JimRP
Post Tue 28 Jun 2011, 08:41 by JimRP
We went there once with friends. Most of us ordered trout in various forms, as that was what we heard was their specialty. We thought the trout was OK--nothing special. I had heard a rumor the fish was farm raised there, but that is false. They have ponds of water where kids can drop in a line and try to catch a fish, but that is purely for fun--the fish is not suitable for eating.

The setting is pleasant enough, but if we go again, I'll definitely be trying the non-fish menu. In fact, Pete, lots of the items you've mentioned sound great.

Jim
cheenagringo
Post Mon 22 Aug 2011, 09:18 by cheenagringo
Kathy and I stopped there on our way down from Guadalajara last Friday. Even with the flies, we enjoyed the setting and our meals. As you will see in the slideshow that follows, Kathy had the trout cooked in butter and I tried the saurbraten pork. Way too much food for a lunch time meal and we both came away stuffed.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107948592041383984704/CAMPESTREALEMAN?authkey=Gv1sRgCIjkteOP2cqiBA#slideshow/5642699496145422434
Hound Dog
Post Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:05 by Hound Dog
As Peter wrote earlier, Dawg & Dawgette really like this place but, since Cheenagringo has already eaten there and enjoyed it,our recommendation is a bit late in coming. I have only had the smoked trout there as anytime I see fresh trout simply prepared on the menu, usually in a rustic, high altitude setting, I must have it. That´s the only good meal we´ve had in or near Pátzcuaro except that wierd campesino place in the gas station which was fun if mediocre, but our experience there has been very limited so we are not the people to ask about this.

I offer the following because I figure anyone who has read this far is fond of trout and attracted to isolated high-mountain forests:
As long as we are on the subject of high mountain, rustic restaurants serving really excellent trout, if any of you are ever in the high Sierra Madre de Oaxaca near Oaxaca City, here is a lead. As you travel the mountainous back roads in the area, don´t miss taking the scenic road through Benito Juarez´ home town of Guelatao de Juarez and keep driving a few kilometers up the mountain to Ixtla de Juarez and look for the rustic trout restaurants in that area located in various semi-isolated areas near Ixtlan where you can get some of the best simply prepared fresh trout cooked in butter you ever imagined. Here you will be well up into the high Sierra where the climate is fresh and cool and there are rustic cabins for rent back in the high forests where accomodations offered by local indigenous folks are primitive but a lot of fun. Highly recommended and worth the long journey to get there.
cheenagringo
Post Mon 22 Aug 2011, 18:24 by cheenagringo
I will refrain from highjacking this topic by reporting on two visits to another restaurant in the area. Dave and Rosy started a discussion on the Miralago Restaurant and I will give my observations there.
Peter
Post Thu 25 Aug 2011, 01:52 by Peter
Lunchtime IS the big meal here. With the exception of hotels and a few chains it's hard to find much open after 7 or 8. Night time is for street food, roadside taco stands, hamburgers, and the like. That can actually go into the wee hours. Macro Burger located in back of my house in the Centro was an exception that was open 8am till 5am daily, 21 hours a day. Good for platos of carne asada with good sides of fresh fries, salad, grilled chorizo, and a couple other accompaniments with it.

Light lunches at restaurants don't really happen here much.
cheenagringo
Post Thu 25 Aug 2011, 07:44 by cheenagringo
While we understand the concept, we do find it difficult to change our ways. Neither of us is big on eating breakfast and our typical "lunch time" is around 12 or 1. We find it difficult to hold off till 2 or 3 and then pile on a large meal. Fully do understand that the Mexican concept if probably healthier but changes take time.
Peter
Post Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:38 by Peter
A lot of folks aren't much breakfast eaters either. Most eat something light mid-morning like pan and leche, and juice stands are very popular. They have fruit juices but carrot, apio, betebel seperately or cocktails. Jugo verde with piña, nopal, and other green stuff, licuados. Most of those juice stands also have jerez (sherry) with raw quail eggs usually taken in one gulp. There are a few ways the semi-non breakfast-eaters make the stretch here.

You eat 12-1 and most places open around that time, by 1 at least. You have no problem. You can get a lite lunch but you usually have to pick and choose it.

Tere and I often order individual meals at Campestre Alemán but it more often suits us to split a large appetizer plate and order a soup/salad and perhaps a dessert.

It was more than the comida/lunch thing I was getting at but also the early-closing restaurants. SMA like Ajijic are major exceptions no doubt.
Peter
Post Sun 12 Aug 2012, 03:57 by Peter
bump
Post  by Sponsored content

Campestre Aleman?

Page 1 of 1