All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

La Cocina de Betty

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

La Cocina de Betty  Empty
PostLa Cocina de Betty

La Cocina de Betty  IMG_2104

We were once again at INAM in the process of renewing our FM3s. It was Wednesday and we were weary.

Our FM3s had been delayed due to circumstances which I prefer not to go into here. So during a lull, we retreated to the Auto Lavado/Internet café on the corner, presided over by the affable Sra. Myrna. I did some Internet time, while Doña Cuevas snoozed in a corner.

We were getting hungry, and asked Myrna for restaurant suggestions close by. She mentioned Iguazu, a Brazilian meat-on-a-sword place; and Infierno, a taquería/carnes asadas. She told us that they were nearby. But I'd noticed earlier a flyer on the counter, advertising the newly opened La Cocina de Betty, and when I asked Myrna and Marí, her hija muy bonita, they responded enthusiastically. Myrna offered to lead us to it, an offer we gladly accepted.
La Cocina de Betty  IMG_2135
María and Myrna of the Auto Lavado and Internet Cafe.

It was just a half block down the street that runs behind INAM and angles over from Camelinas to Ignacio Chávez. A sharp right on the first side street to the right, a cerrada, and we were there.

Betty herself came out, and with others of her staff (whom I think are mostly family), they explained the program to us. That day, at least, you got a choice of chicken, beef or pork chop, cooked on the charcoal grill. There was a sidebar of salad ingredients and a hot table of guarniciones, including a tasty rice, cauliflower fried in egg batter in a tomato and lightly picante sauce, and herbed spaghetti. Spicier salsa stood ready nearby.
La Cocina de Betty  IMG_2120

The salad table included the usual salad bar items; not a broad selection, but good. The broccoli and cauliflower were lightly cooked but served al tiempo, and didn't have that raw green taste I associate with these vegetables. Betty brought out a homemade salad dressing based on flor de jamaica. It was excellent, and neutralized the negative points I'd given for spotting bottled dressings on the salad table.

La Cocina de Betty  IMG_2113

We were given a choice of two aguitas: mango or melón. We chose the refreshing melón, and a generous glass lasted through our meal.

La Cocina de Betty  IMG_2117
Almost as an afterthought, Francisco, the grill man, asked if we would like soup. His English was earnest but limited and it was unclear from his description.

After visiting the salad table, we started to eat but flies were coming on, so we moved inside to a small area where there were two tables.
The fly situation should be dealt with by the owner.
The inside dining room was decorate in good taste and gave a hint as to the affluence of the owner.

The waiter brought us a beautiful lentil soup with bits of ham and pork chop. The soup was delicious; the highlight of the meal. We were offered tortillas, but passed. Bread, de horno de leña, is mentioned in the flyer, but was not available that day.

La Cocina de Betty  IMG_2119

We were offered coffee, and I accepted. It took a while, and it turned out to be a cup of boiled water and a dish of instant. However, it tasted better than NoEsCafé Instant.

Dessert was optional, at a surcharge of $15 pesos, and in the interests of research, decided on the pastel de tres leches. It was obviously homemade, and wasn't bad, but not fabulous, either. There was also a pink blob of gelatin available as well as something that looked like stewed prunes, but might have been figs.
La Cocina de Betty  IMG_2127

The beef was nice and also tender, thin and cooked well done, seasoned with garlic and black pepper. The pork chops were o.k. and came with two slices of grilled pineapple. Salsas were available near the salad bar. My impression was that you could take and eat all you wanted, except for the meats, all at one price. That price was only $60 pesos a person. An excellent value, in my opinion.

I would try to describe the address, but we are traveling, and I can't locate either the flyer or Betty's business card. However, I think I can map it. Betty's location map

Ratings

Food: ***1/2
Service: ****
Price:$ (less than $100 pesos per person. We paid $60 each, plus $150 for a dessert.)
Ambiance: Genteel, upper middle class home; patio dining optional. Very friendly, sincere staff. Above all, "nice".
Rest room: spotless
Hours: 1-?, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday ONLY

In my opinion, it's not a revelatory gastronomic experience, but an extremely pleasant one and just the right place to soothe your nerves and have a nice meal. The price is a very good value. Owner and staff are all affable and charming.

Betty gives cooking classes on Saturdays.

At the time of writing, Betty's had been open only a week.
La Cocina de Betty  IMG_2106
Sra. Betty Zamudio
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
Share this post on: reddit

La Cocina de Betty :: Comments

Don Cuevas
Re: La Cocina de Betty
Post Mon 15 Aug 2011, 17:00 by Don Cuevas
Correction: It was Tuesday. How can I edit/modify these blog format posts once I click "SEND"?

Saludos,
Don Cuevas
Peter
Post Mon 15 Aug 2011, 17:27 by Peter
Don Cuevas wrote:
Correction: It was Tuesday. How can I edit/modify these blog format posts once I click "SEND"?

Saludos,
Don Cuevas

You hit the EDIT button within two days. I guess I could fix it, put more time on for the edit. It times-out after 48 hours. I thought that was being reasonable.

I had a former someone here that edited their post after more than a week had passed and it threw off the content of the replies that followed. My experience was that most sites that even allowed editing have a time-out after two and up to 12 hours. When I put the two-day limit on it I thought I was being sufficiently generous. Guess not. Not sure how much is needed then.

As Admin I have unlimited time to edit afterwards. You could PM me with a corrected paragraph and I can substitute it. I believe Hound Dog's mod privileges allow him to do the same. I can edit someone else's post without leaving an edit tag but if I do my own after it has been replied to mine gets tagged as well. Hint: moderators don't have time limits on edits.

Rather then go in and reset the time limit for everyone, which is what I would have to do, just PM me a corrected paragraph or whatever you need and I will substitute it. -Peter
Don Cuevas
Post Tue 16 Aug 2011, 08:31 by Don Cuevas
Fine. That sounds reasonable.

LonelyPlanet.com Thorn Tree Forums allow edits until there's a reply from another poster.

http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com/ gives members unlimited edit time. Perhaps a little too liberal.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas
Peter
Post Tue 16 Aug 2011, 09:03 by Peter
I started with unlimited time but that had some drawbacks. I could find another reasonable compromise but two days seemed OK at the time. I can always make adjustments to something through PM's when necessary to go beyond two days.
Peter
Post Sun 12 Aug 2012, 03:56 by Peter
bump
Post  by Sponsored content

La Cocina de Betty

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: La Comida-
Jump to: