All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Serious About Our Elotes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

Serious About Our Elotes Empty
PostSerious About Our Elotes

Serious About Our Elotes SAM_0452

Back home again in colonia Lago III it is good that some things never change. Every afternoon the man with the elotes makes his rounds just like the ice cream man NOB. Some of our customs here just seem more wholesome, and instead of the ice cream bars and candy here our kids are lining up for their elotes, corn on the cob for you northerners.

You can have it cut from the cob and served in cups with your choice of dressings, crema, mayonesa, salt, limón, crumbled queso, chile, or the works. He places a cup in the cut-away in the middle of his box, slices the kernals off the cobb then gathers it into the cup to add the toppings, hands you a cup with a plastic spoon and there, 7 pesos for a summer treat. Here mother and daughter split an order so it is served in two cups, each to custom order, no extra charge.

Serious About Our Elotes SAM_0454

My ageing choppers have gotten caps of porcelein to make them strong again so I can still eat it off the cobb. I take my pick out of his tub of elotes, that one! He puts in a stick then dresses it with a little limón, sal, and some mayo for me.

Serious About Our Elotes SAM_0458

Oh, and a good dribbling of chile salsa, por favor.

Serious About Our Elotes SAM_0460

Then I'm ready to take it out by the jardín to enjoy it slowly. Una bebida? Sí, gracias Tere. Una michelada. Muy picante, por favor.

Serious About Our Elotes SAM_0462
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Share this post on: reddit

Serious About Our Elotes :: Comments

Hound Dog
Re: Serious About Our Elotes
Post Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:21 by Hound Dog
Elotes (corn on the cob) and esquites (corn kernels cut from the cob and served in a cup with lime juice, salt, dried red chilis, etc.) are a very popular street food in San Cristóbal de Las Casas where we spend our winters. Dawg enjoys these treats but is, at times, a bit put off later in the day by the large jars of mayonnaise baking in the sun along the andador since, for Dawg at least, elote is not complete without a slathering of mayonnaise and Dawg has visions of myriad harmful bacteria doing Maypole dances in that large plastic jar of lukewarm mayonnaise accompanying the elote cart and awaiting introduction to Dawg´s gut for a true fiesta.

Now, my darlin´ wife is French where the notion of eating corn, much less corn on the cob is as foreign as deep fried Twinkies so she has shown a marginal interest in elotes only as Americanized by Dawg for home consumption which recipe follows with my up-front apologies to Mexican street food purists for taking liberties with such a traditional treat:

DAWGS AMERICANIZED ELOTES
Super sweet corn on the cob either steamed or roasted on coals*
Lime juice from seeded Colima-style tart limes
Best Foods Mayonnaise
Parmesan Cheese
Ground Chili Arbol
Ground Cumin Seed

* Super sweet corn is difficult to find in Chiapas where elotes are typically made with the local, somewhat chewy corn on the cob which is decidedly not sweet. Super sweet corn on the cob is, however, often available in the Lakeside community on Lake Chapala´s north shore. Some elotes fans may blanch at the notion of substituting traditional Chiapas corn on the cob for the sissy American stuff and so Dawg advises that, when I make elotes in San Cristóbal I use Chiapas corn and it is very good that way as well.
Dave and Rosy
De Gustibus non est Disputandum
Post Sun 14 Aug 2011, 07:49 by Dave and Rosy
Well us good ol' boys from Minneeeesssottaah just still hanker after those good old corn 'n' beer days of the upper midwest! Here's a stolen recipe just about like Granny used to make: a feast of butter dripping from my elbows and corn stuff always caught between my teeth...

Kittencal's Milk Boiled Corn on the Cob
Serious About Our Elotes PicQp2WVz

Photo by Virginia Cherry Blossom

Kittencalskitchen's Note:
A method I have been using for over 30 years, you will never boil corn in just water again once you try this, this method produces a very tender and sweet corn on the cob, I promise! --- do not add in any salt to the water as it will make the corn tough

Servings: 6-8 (and if you're like me this is a recipe serving about 2)

Ingredients:
6 -8 ears corn, husks and silk removed
water
1 cup milk
1/4 cup whipping cream, unwhipped (or use 1-1/4 cups milk)
1/3 cup sugar (can use more sugar)
1/4 cup butter (optional, add to the water)
Directions:

Fill a large stock pot half full with water (use a large enough pot to hold all the corn).

Add in the cream, milk, sugar and butter.

Bring to a boil, then add in the corn cobs.

Reduce heat to a simmer and allow corn to cook for 7-8 minutes or until just tender, depending on size of corn try not to over cook the corn as it will become tough.

Using long tongs remove and place on a plate or in a bowl, then cover with foil until ready to serve.

Serve with butter and salt to taste.

Delicious!

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-milk-boiled-corn-on-the-cob-121897#ixzz1V0R3cyGj
Don Cuevas
Post Sun 14 Aug 2011, 17:03 by Don Cuevas
We will have to make do with sweet corn while we are visiting here in New Jersey.
Razz

We'll be going to the a-maizingly diverse Corrado's- A Family Affair tomorrow morning to stock up on corn, tomatoes, eggplants, olives, bagels, special Italian breads, cheeses, salumeria, and so on, It's a bit of a drive from where we are staying, but it's worth it.
Peter
Post Sun 12 Aug 2012, 03:55 by Peter
bump
Don Cuevas
Post Tue 02 Oct 2012, 09:28 by Don Cuevas
Golden sweet corn was available in the Pátzcuaro Mercado through much of the summer of 2012. We took advantage of it several weeks in a row. Typical price was $5 pesos an ear.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas
Peter
Post Wed 03 Oct 2012, 08:36 by Peter
Ahhh... Someone on our block was selling elotes this summer. These were especially sweet, tender, and had a deeper golden color than the usual ones. Oddly, I have not for months seen the man in the above pictures that has been a fixture in our colonia for the several years since I first came to Morelia. Perhaps his product has been a bit tougher to sell at this time - it is tougher to chew.

I know there has been talk of Monsanto's genetically-modified corn hitting Mexican markets. I am very skeptical about these franken-food product. If this new batch we've been seeing is some of that I may have to re-think a bit. Quality-wise it seems like an improvement and the price is reasonable enough - due to US farm subsidies to push their corn. So far I have not sprouted a tail or had other anomalies beginning to occur so it may be safe enough. The down-side is that we may lose some of our old friends such as the Señor that used to make his rounds here selling the elotes. People may start demanding the new corn and shun the tougher native varieties.

carolyn2u
Post Mon 18 Feb 2013, 22:43 by carolyn2u
The recipe for the corn looks yummy. I will try it when I see corn in season. I found out about the Franken, Fricken or whatever corn some weeks ago. I am not pleased about it. Probably going on for some time before we found out. Dang them for messin' around with our food.
Peter
Post Tue 19 Feb 2013, 06:57 by Peter
Franken-foods, like Frankenstein assembled in a lab, the GMO's or genetically modified varieties have a lot of people concerned about their nutritional quality and many other speculative factors. Besides concerns about these new artificial strains possibly taking over fields by cross-pollenating and pushing out older natural varieties, health concerns, even the way they are being subsidized and marketed in the US.

Many concerned citizens have asked for food labelling to disclose the presence of these GMO's but the companies are fighting that. The FDA says they are perfectly safe, but then again they approved aspartame, fluoridation, and many other questionable products and additives. Maybe we don't really need to know, just shut-up and eat our veggies.

Mexico has many, many colors and varieties of corn but they can't compete in the market against US government subsidized corn being sold over here. Some are concerned about losing the heritage varieties for cheaper tortillas.

Should these things concern us? We are told to not worry, just eat our tortillas and be happy.
Peter
Post Tue 19 Feb 2013, 08:17 by Peter
Here is a link to a list of processed foods containing GMO ingredients.
http://shiftfrequency.com/comprehensive-list-of-gmo-products/

It will surprise you by containing some of our favorite packaged foods. If these GMO products concern you then this list will be shocking. Fortunately I like to cook from scratch, and a lot of these products are not available here in Mexico or would be somewhat hard to find. The flip-side of this is that this list doesn't include the Mexican products that line our shelves. At least you have an advantage in knowing which they are. But, the list is so big you will see that there will be difficulty avoiding them if you choose to do so. Corn plays a big role in this because it is now high-fructose corn syrup that is used for sweeteners instead of sugars these days, and that has its own bad rap without even considering it is largely GMO. But hey, the government says these are perfectly fine and fit for our mass consumption.

Here are some examples. This is just a small part of the list, breakfast cereals and condiments I include here. Do you use any of these? -

Breakfast Cereals with Genetically Engineered Ingredients (by maker)-

General Mills
-Cheerios
-Wheaties
-Total
-Corn Chex
-Lucky Charms
-Trix
-Kix
-Golden Grahams
-Cinnamon Grahams
-Count Chocula
-Honey Nut Chex
-Frosted Cheerios
-Apple Cinnamon Cheerios
-Multi-Grain Cheerios
-Frosted Wheaties
-Brown Sugar & Oat Total
-Basic 4
-Reeses Puffs
-French Toast Crunch

Kellogg’s
-Frosted Flakes
-Corn Flakes
-Special K
-Raisin Bran
-Rice Krispies
-Corn Pops
-Product 19
-Smacks
-Froot Loops
-Marshmallow Blasted Fruit Loops
-Apple Jacks
-Crispix
-Smart Start
-All-Bran
-Complete Wheat Bran
-Complete Oat Bran
-Just Right Fruit & Nut
-Honey Crunch Corn Flakes
-Raisin Bran Crunch
-Cracklin’ Oat Bran

Country Inn Specialties (all varieties)
-Mothers Cereals (Quaker)
-Toasted Oat Bran
-Peanut Butter Bumpers
-Groovy Grahams
-Harvest Oat Flakes
-Harvest Oat Flakes w/Apples & Almonds
-Honey Round Ups

Post (Kraft-Phillip Morris)
-Raisin Bran
-Bran Flakes
-Grape Nut Flakes
-Grape Nut O’s
-Fruit & Fibre date, raisin and walnut
-Fruit & Fibre peach, raisin and almond
-Honey Bunch of Oats
-Honey Nut Shredded Wheat
-Honey Comb
-Golden Crisp
-Waffle Crisp
-Cocoa Pebbles
-Cinna-Crunch Pebbles
-Fruity Pebbles
-Alpha-Bits
-Post Selects Cranberry Almond
-Post Selects Banana Nut Crunch
-Post Selects Blueberry Morning
-Post Selects Great Grains

Quaker
-Life
-Cinnamon Life
-100% Natural Granola
-Toasted Oatmeal
-Toasted Oatmeal Honey Nut
-Oat Bran
-Cap’n Crunch
-Cap’n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch
-Cap’n Crunch Crunchling Berries

Condiments -

Del Monte (Nabisco/Phillip Morris)
-Ketchup
-Heinz
-Ketchup (regular & no salt)
-Chili Sauce
-Cocktail Sauce
-Heinz 57 Steak Sauce

Hellman’s (Bestfoods)
-Real Mayonnaise
-Light Mayonnaise
-Low-Fat Mayonnaise

Hunt’s (ConAgra)
-Ketchup (regular & no salt)
-KC Masterpiece
-Original BBQ sauce
-Garlic & Herb Marinade
-Honey Teriyaki Marinade

Kraft (Kraft/Phillip Morris)
-Miracle Whip (all varieties)
-Kraft Mayonnaise (all)
-Thick & Spicy BBQ sauces (all varieties)
-Char Grill BBQ sauce
-Honey Hickory BBQ sauce

Nabisco (Nabiso/Phillip Morris)
-A-1 Steak Sauce
Open Pit (Vlasic/Campbells)
-BBQ sauces (all)
-Chi-Chi’s (Hormel)
-Fiesta Salsa (all varieties)
-Old El Paso (Pillsbury)
-Thick & Chunky Salsa
-Garden Pepper Salsa
-Taco Sauce
-Picante Sauce

Ortega (Nestle)
-Taco Sauce
-Salsa Prima Homestyle
-Salsa Prima Roasted Garlic
-Salsa Prima 3 Bell Pepper
-Thick & Chunky Salsa

Pace (Campbells)
-Chunky Salsa
-Picante Sauce

¡Provecho! Eat well.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it that time of morning for my pre-breakfast carrot and beet juice. My juicing machine awaits me.

Post  by Sponsored content

Serious About Our Elotes

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: La Comida-
Jump to: