All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Point systems on this board

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

Point systems on this board Empty
PostSubject: Point systems on this board   Point systems on this board EmptyFri 04 Mar 2011, 08:34

Now that the cat is out of the bag I can comment about the point systems I've been using here. Actually there are several systems in use, the simplest is the one that merely records the number of posts one has contributed. The others are a bit more confusing because they don't seem to always work exactly as described and the options are not always available but I'll tell about them as they were designed and what deviations I have observed. These points appear by your name at each post and also in your profile.

One adds to "Premios" and awards one point for each post contributed and three points for each topic authored. It was also said to add a point for each day you have been a registered member though that does not seem to be the case. It is possible that it only adds the point each day one is an "active" and contributing member but that remains somewhat unclear. This is mostly a system that the board awards according to one's activity here. I have also observed another variant in this system that was not as advertised and I will address that later.

The other awards points to "Distinguido" and is actuated by the plus and minus signs along the right-hand side of the message screen. These points are awarded - or subtracted, as Don Cuevas discovered - by other members so the can express their opinions of the worthiness of each post and it effects the author's "Distinguido" score, so is therefor a type of reputation system among readers. Although it won't adjust the view, so to speak, possibly the accumulation of positive or negative scores may in the long-run have some effect on the author's point of view over time.

More recently I had added the "Thank you", as it is described in the options, and would have renamed this in the manner the other systems let me rename their awards points. Of course this being a Mexico site I would have named it "Gracias" but it is fixed and cannot be renamed. However, since our web hosts are in France it is already labelled "Merci" and can be found, when it appears, up by the edit and quote commands. This is supposed to add three points to the "Distinguido" score though I have seen it add points to the "Premios" as well. This appears to only be able to be used once in any given thread though I am not sure if that option applies to every reader to award this or if it can only be used once by any one person.

None of the elective points can be given to oneself and can only be used once per post or thread - depending on the system. The exception to this rule is that since I can appear either as Peter or as Admin I can award points to my other self and have done so very sparingly just to "salt" the system a bit.

Surprised that no one has noticed these before. I hope you all will begin to use them now. As a contributer to Above Top Secret blog they also have several point systems that for me work as an incentive. I liked that so decided to use it here. Too bad it doesn't actually award any prizes but perhaps sometime down the road if we have a board anniversary get-together it may actually include some kind of payoff.
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

PostSubject: Re: Point systems on this board   Point systems on this board EmptyFri 04 Mar 2011, 08:41

I've never been a fan of points systems on forums, but I have no serious objections to them here. One now defunct forum to which I briefly belonged, gave out virtual money and virtual prizes none of which, of course, ever materialized. I thought it a total waste of time, other than to give the more cynical of us a chance to snicker.

I think a contributor's rep should come from the number and quality of the posts they have made.

(I'll have to give you a + now to make up for the one I mistakenly took away.)
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

PostSubject: Re: Point systems on this board   Point systems on this board EmptyFri 04 Mar 2011, 09:52

Don Cuevas wrote:
I've never been a fan of points systems on forums, but I have no serious objections to them here. One now defunct forum to which I briefly belonged, gave out virtual money and virtual prizes none of which, of course, ever materialized. I thought it a total waste of time, other than to give the more cynical of us a chance to snicker.

I think a contributor's rep should come from the number and quality of the posts they have made.

(I'll have to give you a + now to make up for the one I mistakenly took away.)

Perhaps why I didn't mention it earlier. Just a harmless dalliance that could be fun down the road. If the site catches-on the disparity of points in the two systems may be revealing on another level. On ATS it is a kind of incentive on such a larg site. Doen't mean anything though.

Quote :

I thought it might be interesting if the readers had some say about judging the quality. Number vs quality would be revealed by that disparity I mentioned. I am somewhat hopeful that the others in Ygroup land will join us. I expect my negative popularity will earn me some negative points. The chance to be able to blast me I hope is more incentive for them to come.

Merci. It was Sr. Admin that lost the point though.
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Point systems on this board   Point systems on this board Empty

Back to top Go down

Point systems on this board
Page 1 of 1