All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro Empty
PostLupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro

Jim and Linda P. were in Pátzcuaro yesterday and so we arranged to meet them as well as Terry B. and her husband, Jim from Zirahúen. I was asked to select a restaurant, and chose Lupita's, on Calle Buena Vista # 7, Centro, site of the former Cha Cha Cha.

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro IMG_6508-1

Lupita's has the comfort and pleasant ambiance suitable for conversation*, plus a nice if not especially distinguished menu. They also make a very good Margarita.

After a round of drinks for some of us, including a Herradura Tequila with a sangrita side for Jim, a copa de vino blanco for Linda, and a Margarita classic for me, we ordered. There was also a jarra of agua de papaya.

Sra. Cuevas and a few others had Sopa Tarasca for a starter and it was very good. Chef Lupita sent us a platter full of tostada halves topped with juicy tinga de pollo. Very nice. The salsa fresca was freshly cut and flavorsome, the other more liquid salsa was decent.

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro IMG_6519-2

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro IMG_1107

Terry decided to get the $70 Comida Corrida, which started with soup, a small salad and either bistec encebollado or chile relleno. She had the chile relleno, which I think she enjoyed.

Linda had a Rice and Salmon Salad, while Sra. Cuevas continued, heedlessly, to an Ensalada de Pollo. At the first bite she recalled how boring a dish it was on a previous visit. The kitchen is at least consistent over time.

Jim P. and I both ordered Carne Asada a la Tampiqueña, which overall was very good. It consisted of a 250 gram piece of tender, jucy and flavorsome flat steak, sided by guacamole, chorizo, frijoles, arroz, and a simple enchilada de queso. It's a lot of food for $140 pesos. The rice was a bit excessively seasoned, but not so bad that we couldn't eat it.

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro IMG_1109

We skipped dessert and coffee was ordered. Jim and I asked for espresso, which when it arrived in regular coffee cups, was dreadful. It was barely warm but it was plenty bitter. I sent mine back to be heated or done over, and it came back in a proper espresso demitasse. Yet it was still dreadful tasting.

Linda's cappucino apparently was fine.

La cuenta was $843 before tip.

* With the exception of the trio of itinerant musicians who entered toward the end of our meal and began to perform, unbidden. Fortunately, they were pretty good, and left after we paid them a token for just one song.
Here are my RATINGS:

Food: ***1/2
Service ****
Price: $-$$, where one $ equals $100 pesos per person, more or less.
Ambiance: ****
Hygiene: ****

Last edited by Don Cuevas on Thu 07 Jul 2011, 02:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
Share this post on: reddit

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro :: Comments

JimRP
Re: Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 00:06 by JimRP
Good review Mike! Linda and I enjoyed the meal and the company. A small addition to the review--I am a bit of a fanatic about sangrita, and theirs was house made and good.

Jim
Don Cuevas
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 02:23 by Don Cuevas
Jim, I didn't know that their sangrita was house made. When you have the opportunity, try the amazing (thick) sangrita at La Mesa de Blanca in Ziracuaretiro.
I think it contains tamarind.

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro IMG_6907
Mezcal, limones y sangrita.

Haven't been there in several months. Must get back.
JimRP
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 08:47 by JimRP
Good tip, Mike. Thanks. That looks pretty unique--I've not seen one that dark before.

I make my own sangrita from time to time. After the first time I had sangrita, I tried the bottled versions and found out they are all dreadful. I always ask before ordering whether it is house made or bottled. Of course, at many places, the bartender makes it based on how he feels that day, so it can vary dramatically from day to day.

One of the consistently best sangritas I've had is served at Bizancio, an Italian restaurant in Morelia.
Peter
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:33 by Peter
JimRP wrote:

I make my own sangrita from time to time.

I always ask before ordering whether it is house made or bottled. Of course, at many places, the bartender makes it based on how he feels that day, so it can vary dramatically from day to day.

One of the consistently best sangritas I've had is served at Bizancio, an Italian restaurant in Morelia.

I'm not sure I've had any but the bottled variety. Leaves something to be desired but still tasty.

Please share your recipe. Sounds like something I might want to make at home but don't know where to start.

Where is Bizancio located? I'm assuming they have great food as well as their sangritas?

Don Cuevas
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:45 by Don Cuevas
Quote :
Where is Bizancio located? I'm assuming they have great food as well as their sangritas?

Bizancio is on Calle Corregidora, Centro.

It's been a few years since we dined at Bizancio. It was very disappointing.

Although the atmosphere was charming, the food was just acceptable. I was perhaps expecting more on the plate than, for example, a fish steak with a tapenade bsed sauce. The side of pasta was completely unremarkable.

True, we didn't try the sangrita.

Generally, I've not been pleased with Italian restaurants in Mexico, probably because I can cook Italian style food at home, more to my taste.

The two exceptional Italian restaurants in Mexico that I've enjoyed are La Grotta, in SMA, for delicious salad and excellent pizza; and Spaghetteria Gian Carlo, in Morelia, because it's simple, unpretentious, has delicious food, and above all cheap. Peter and Tere showed us the Spaghetteria, and we are grateful.
JimRP
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:32 by JimRP
Mike, I've been to Bizancio a number of times. It was recommended to me by someone from another Italian restaurant here, and I was told the owner is actually Italian.

Unfortunately, the food is inconsistent. I have had marvelous meals there, and dreadful ones. But I've always loved their sangrita, and their pizza's have sometimes been great, but never awful. As you said, the atmosphere is charming--set in a marvelous old historic building. I will go again, because when it is great it is a fine experience, so I'll take the chance. The head waiter Raul is a fixture, and I ask him what's good that day and tend to follow his advice. He is also the sangrita maestro.

Pete, I'll dig out my recipe for sangrita and post it later today or tomorrow.

Jim
Peter
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 18:20 by Peter
Tere and I were downtown yesterday to run some errands and began to talk about what we miss about not living in the Centro anymore. Gian Carlo was up toward the top of that list and was the number one restaurant we miss, especially nice that it was just a block and a half away from our house.

We haven't been there since we've moved but yesterday's conversation decided it was high time we returned. That will be an occasion for bringing my camera. Since this board was started just a week after we moved there really was no opportunity for me to post photos anywhere before then. Not only is their food suitable for framing but the decor would make an interesting presentation as well. Seems maybe you got a couple photos from there also. I will start a new thread after our next visit and maybe you might have something to add to that.

Jim - Thanks, I'll be looking forward to your recipe.
cheenagringo
Post Tue 06 Sep 2011, 15:39 by cheenagringo
Since it was an easy walk from Meson de San Antonio, it happened that I dined there three times but only twice with Kathy since she arrived later than I. I found their Arrachera excellent twice, Kathy had Spaghetti Carbonara once and we both chose Chiles en Nogaga one evening. While it has been three years since we tried Cha Cha Cha at this same location, we both felt that we enjoyed Lupita's more.

Slideshow: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/RESTAURANTLUPITASPATZCUAROMICHOACAN?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSxsaPOt8LpCw#slideshow/5649343728605090450
Peter
Post Sun 12 Aug 2012, 03:57 by Peter
bump
Post  by Sponsored content

Lupita's Restaurante, Pátzcuaro

Page 1 of 1