All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Road Trip! Road Trip!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

Road Trip! Road Trip! Empty
PostRoad Trip! Road Trip!

We just returned from Chiapas to Lake Chapala through Oaxaca after driving down there last month via Veracruz State with detours to Cuetzalán and Hueyapan, Puebla and can report on our experience making the drive between Lake Chapala and San Cristóbal de Las Casas via Oaxaca versus via Veracruz State. While the drive through Oaxaca is still about 100 kilometers longer than the drive through Veracruz (without the lengthy detours we took this time), the drive through Oaxaca is a nice alternative to the drive through Veracruz and the timing will be close to the same once they have opened the Oaxaca City-Tehuantepec, Oaxaca Autopista - however, it ain´t open yet and the twisting mountain road between Tehuantepec and Oaxaca City makes this option more difficult for now. I don´t know when the Oaxaca City-Tehuantepec Autopista will open but they have been working on it for some time and it may be open soon.

The Arco Norte cuts about two hours off of the driving time from Jalisco or Michoacan and that makes a big difference. To figure the driving time from, say, Morelia to San Cristóbal, take about four hours off of the trip from Ajijic to San Cristóbal. At the speed we drive, which is at about 130 KPH, it now takes about seven hours to drive from Ajijic to Puebla City versus nine hours when we had to drive through Mexico City when the traffic flow was good. It is about 4 1/2 hours from Puebla City to Oaxaca City so the drive from Morelia to Oaxaca City should take a total of less than eight hours which makes the journey to Oaxaca an easy one day trip from Morelia and pretty easy from Lake Chapala as well.

When the new Tehuantepec-Oaxaca City opens to expedite travel from San Cristóbal to either Morelia or the Chapala Municipality, I estimate that the total driving time between San Cristóbal and Chapala will be about 16 1/2 hours via Veracruz State and about 17 1/2 hours via Oaxaca City. That should make the drive between Morelia and San Cristóbal about 12 1/2 hours via Veracruz State and about 13 1/2 hours via Oaxaca City if one travels at the speed we drive. This is an amazing improvement which should open up Southern Mexico big time once that last leg through Oaxaca State is open.

I´ll post more about this road trip plus some very good and very mediocre places to eat along the way when I have more time.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Road Trip! Road Trip! :: Comments

JimRP
Re: Road Trip! Road Trip!
Post Sun 06 Nov 2011, 20:07 by JimRP
Hey, Dawg.... Linda and I figured around 8 hours between Morelia and Oaxaca. This last trip, we stopped in Puebla both directions, and had real delays with the road construction and landslide repairs on the cuota between Puebla and Oaxaca. We've decided in the future we'll go directly to Oaxaca and skip the stop.

I look forward to the details later....

Jim
Hound Dog
Post Sun 06 Nov 2011, 22:55 by Hound Dog
[quote="JimRP"]Hey, Dawg.... Linda and I figured around 8 hours between Morelia and Oaxaca. This last trip, we stopped in Puebla both directions, and had real delays with the road construction and landslide repairs on the cuota between Puebla and Oaxaca. We've decided in the future we'll go directly to Oaxaca and skip the stop.

I look forward to the details later....

Jim[/quote]

Jim: I think that is right. Morelia to Oaxaca City in eight hours. And a fine, easy drive. After you leave the Arco Norte just east of Puebla about three hours out of Morelia more or less, lots of Pemex stations around Morelia with Italian Coffee Company outlets with decent coffee and sandwiches so refreshments are easiliy available until you reach the Oaxaca turnoff. After they finish those obstructive highway improvements near the access to the Veracruz- Puebla Autopista, a true breeze.

More later.

Dawg
Guille1046
Post Wed 09 Nov 2011, 14:00 by Guille1046
Great report and the timing is perfect for us since we are headed from Colima to Oaxaca on the 1st of Dec. Thank you!!!
My question, Bubba/Dawg is: are you still travelling with your dogs? We will have 3 chihuahuas with us on this trip and are looking for advice about where to stay. We were thinking we would make it to the Puebla area on the first leg and on into Oaxaca mid-day on the 2nd leg. In the past we have used the "discreet motels" but the last time we tried to use one, they were not receptive to 2 dogs at that time.
Thanks for any suggestions from anyone. We will also be checking on the dog friendly blog.

Willie
Hound Dog
Post Wed 09 Nov 2011, 19:18 by Hound Dog
Guille1046 wrote:
Great report and the timing is perfect for us since we are headed from Colima to Oaxaca on the 1st of Dec. Thank you!!!
My question, Bubba/Dawg is: are you still travelling with your dogs? We will have 3 chihuahuas with us on this trip and are looking for advice about where to stay. We were thinking we would make it to the Puebla area on the first leg and on into Oaxaca mid-day on the 2nd leg. In the past we have used the "discreet motels" but the last time we tried to use one, they were not receptive to 2 dogs at that time.
Thanks for any suggestions from anyone. We will also be checking on the dog friendly blog.

Willie

Boy, Willie, that´s a tough one. There are a number of no-tell motels just west of Puebla that might work for you after you exit the Arco Norte but these are not places we explore since we normally drive on to Orizaba which is not on your course to Oaxaca City. You will find, as we have over the past ten years living in Mexico, that there are lots of places that will take you and your dogs once you show up at the check in counter that would emphatically turn you down for pets over the telephone. One of the charming characteristics of the Mexican people in general is that they hate to say no face-to-face. Nice people unless you f*ck with them unnecessarily- Then they will kick your ass into kingdom come.
Post  by Sponsored content

Road Trip! Road Trip!

Page 1 of 1