All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Modified Perspective

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

Modified Perspective Empty
PostSubject: Modified Perspective   Modified Perspective EmptyMon 17 Oct 2011, 20:01

It´s chilly and raining in San Cristóbal de Las Casas and folks in the community, including us, are sick of the damp chill that has depressed all at a time that is supposed to mark the beginning of the dry season. However, it´s important for us to reflect on the fact that we are simply being inconvenienced and in a funk because the rain and clouds which have been with us for the two weeks we have been here now is effecting us psychologically but it ain´t slowing down the electronic transfer of that social security check from the U.S. and we can still buy more firewood and propane to warm the house and take the edge off the air in a place where most don´t even have household heat sources and some have houses thousands of meters higher and much colder than ours. We have a number of acquaintances and friends and walk the streets of the city among street vendors we don´t know personally for whom this unseasonal rain and chill is a financial catastrophe as well as a depressing off-season drear when the bright, crystal clear sunshine should be the norm. Vital street sales among street vendors from the operators of stalls selling trinkets and artisanal goods to the tiny kids selling chiclets and candy are in the toilet and these folks are living strickly hand-to-mouth on a daily basis. Many living in the mountains are cold and miserable and fearing for their safety because of incessant rain destabalizing their mountain properties because of saturated, unstable soil upon which their normally splendidly beautiful if primitive villages are built in mountainous regions of spellbinding beauty and many are immobilized by compromised trails and roads needed to affect trade for essentials.

I guess hurricanes and tropical depressions are good for the lake and turn everything a magnificent green so almost everything is both good and bad.

What pisses me off is that all this rain and unstable weather seems to have knocked my satelitte dish off-kilter and I can´t watch Morning Joe on Shaw over a cup of dark Roast java from the Union de La La Selva Lacandona Coffee House in San Cristóbal centro to go with my croissants from the Fernch baker a couple of blocks from there on fancy Calle General Utrillo. Perspective is everything.
Back to top Go down
nopales
Amigo
nopales

PostSubject: Re: Modified Perspective   Modified Perspective EmptyTue 18 Oct 2011, 05:59

Sorry about your having to live in such primitive conditions without satellite but think about all the crap you are not putting into your head. Haven't had a TV in 11 years and don't miss it. Have followed you from Ajijic because I love your postings.
Back to top Go down
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

PostSubject: Re: Modified Perspective   Modified Perspective EmptyTue 18 Oct 2011, 08:43

Thanks, nopales, for the kind words. Of course, you understand that I was joking about the inconvenience of my missing my bourgeois pastimes of drinking espresso while watching the morning news on the satellite in a place (Chiapas) where so many locals have no electricity or toilets much less a Shaw satellite feed out of Canada. As I believe you may have surmised, I was also having some fun with the middle class values of the Americans and Canadians living in Ajijic hillside enclaves who were so pleased to see Hurricane Jova bearing down on Jalisco since the rain, after the wind had done its job destroying the coastal areas, would be beneficial for Lake Chapala.

You are right about all the crap that comes into our living room in the morning not only from NOB on the satelllite but on the morning news programs out of Guadalajara and Tuxtla Gurierrez. After watching the Guadalajara news segment called Historias de La Noche which recaps all the overnight violence and terrible nighttime traffic accidents in Metro Guadalajara, I´ve actually been grateful to not be ruining my morning coffee break with that all bleak news every morning. Maybe you´re right and I should find another way to entertain myself in the morning such as doing this, for instance.
Back to top Go down
raqueteer
Amigo
raqueteer

PostSubject: Re: Modified Perspective   Modified Perspective EmptyTue 18 Oct 2011, 12:34

Quite right Dawg and nopales. I stopped watching the news some considerable time back. I figure if there's something important someone will take it upon themselves to inform me. Plus it's just a crying shame to ruin a good cup of coffee.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modified Perspective   Modified Perspective Empty

Back to top Go down

Modified Perspective
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: ¡Bienvenidos! General Topics-
Jump to: