All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Biscuits and their uses

Go down 
AuthorMessage
raqueteer
Amigo
raqueteer

Biscuits and their uses Empty
PostBiscuits and their uses

Tonight, we're having a delicious peach shortcake complete with blackberry sauce, brandy and whipped cream.
I did try biscuits for the very first time ever, however, they didn't look like the photo that Don Cuevas posted. Perhaps it was the overuse of baking powder, or the lack of cream of tartar, however the finished product didn't live up to the standard already set on this board.
Anyhow, I'll share my recipe if Don Cuevas will share his. Let the games begin, and no cheating on the recipe.
In other words, I'll show him mine if he shows me his. Wink
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Biscuits and their uses :: Comments

Peter
Re: Biscuits and their uses
Post Tue 20 Sep 2011, 20:04 by Peter
Tere's biscuits this morning were low-riders but they were still tasty. I make up biscuit mix for her so she can add water or add eggs and milk if desired. One of the most important things is not to over-stir the mix after adding liquids, simply fold it in and don't worry about trying to smooth out the lumps as they will take care of themselves. Baking soda only provides so much gas and it will be largely expended if mixed too well.

A large batch of biscuit mix will often allow for more uniform biscuits time after time than mixing a small batch which a small variance in the ratio of ingredients can make a big difference.
Don Cuevas
Post Wed 21 Sep 2011, 06:49 by Don Cuevas
Angel Biscuits

From Bernard Clayton's +The New Complete Book of Breads+

Ingredients:
4 1/2 -5 cups all purpose white flour 
1 pkg dry yeast
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt 
(I suggest cutting the sugar back to less than 3 Tbs; say, 1 1/2-2, and INCREASING the salt to 2 tsps)
3/4 cup solid white shortening, lard, butter or a combination. I use 1/2 cup shortening and 1/4 cup butter)
2 cups buttermilk. (We can't get buttermilk here, so I subst. SACO powdered buttermilk and the necessary water. That powder has to be pre-dissolved in hot water, then cooled, OR mixed in thoroughly with the dry ingreds and then moistened with the required tepid water.)

1 baking sheet or two, or biscuit pans, lightly greased, or Teflon.

Mixing:
 By hand or in a mixer, combine the dry ingreds and then cut in the shortening very finely.
Add the liquid and mix by hand or mixer paddle just long enough to moisten all the dries. The dough will be wet; or should be.
Place in a greased bowl (I uses a 1 gallon Zip-loc bag, sprayed with cooking release spray (PAM, for example}, and seal it.) Refrigerate, preferably at least 12 to 48 hours.

On baking day, preheat oven to 400º 20 minutes before baking.

On a well-floured work surface, dump out the fermented and risen dough. Use only what you need and refigerate rest if you like.

Pat or roll out into a rough rectangle, fold in thirds, turn, roll and and fold in 3rds again. Roll out about 1/2 " thick. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.

With a floured biscuit cutter, cut straight down and place biscuits on greased baking sheet, either close together for "homey" biscuits or apart for individual biscuits.
Optional: brush tops lightly with melted butter. Bake at 400º for 15-17 minutes, or until tops are browned nicely.

I have some raw Angel Biscuit dough in the fridge that I mixed up on SUnday. It should be good and tangy by now. I just hope it rises.

O.k. Now show me yours. Wink
Peter
Post Wed 21 Sep 2011, 08:54 by Peter
That recipe sounds like a different animal. Once you put in a package of yeast they become yeast rolls, in my opinion. No doubt they are good but biscuits to me do not contain yeast and are pure quick breads.

If all else fails try a scones recipe, Raq, minus the sugar.
raqueteer
Post Wed 21 Sep 2011, 18:00 by raqueteer
Aha! There's yeast in those puppies. Mine were low-riders, tasty but on the flat side, nonetheless quite short due to the 50/50 ratio of butter to shortening. Rather than waste them, I decided to make the peach shortcake.

For 2, or 4, we couldn't eat all of it.

2 fresh peaches dunked in boiling water for about 5 minutes to loosen the skins, then remove them.

Slice them up in a bowl, add a few tablespoons of brown sugar, plus a decent sized splash of our old buddy, Don Pedro. Let them sit for awhile, at least an hour.

I cheated a bit with the blackberry sauce, and heated up some french blackberry preserves, about a quarter cup, tossed in the sugar and brandy that the peaches were sitting in, and heated it up and whisked till blended and reduced by about one third.

Then whip the cream with a bit of icing sugar and a splash of vanilla, not the cheap stuff, the Mexican real McCoy.

Split the biscuits, top with the marinated peaches, cover with whipped cream then drizzle with blackberry syrup.

They were good, but if I were going to do it for guests, I'd put the peaches in white rum with white sugar and a spritz of lemon juice. Sauté them in butter very lightly, then top with the whipped cream and a freshly made Blackberry sauce, which I'd sieve to eliminate seeds, keep a few perfect berries on the side for garnish and add a mint leaf or two. The brown sugar and brandy gave the peaches a darker color than I'd want. Tasted really good though, and we had enough whipped cream to cover them up.

In future, think I may stick with scones as Pete suggested. My British husband, was taken out of Britain, but never had the Britain taken out of him.

Those angel biscuits looked great. Thanks for the recipe.

Cheers,
Raq
Post  by Sponsored content

Biscuits and their uses

Page 1 of 1