All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I Love To Eat—but:

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

I Love To Eat—but: Empty
PostSubject: I Love To Eat—but:   I Love To Eat—but: EmptyTue 01 Mar 2011, 18:42

is it such a great idea to have the left hand side bar devoted totally to La Comida? I want to play fair and give other subjects a chance.

What do you say?
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

PostSubject: Re: I Love To Eat—but:   I Love To Eat—but: EmptyTue 01 Mar 2011, 20:09

Don Cuevas wrote:
is it such a great idea to have the left hand side bar devoted totally to La Comida? I want to play fair and give other subjects a chance.

What do you say?

We may just about be reaching the point I can select another forum. This feature permits me to select only one forum for this type of display and La Comida has six threads. The next is this forum where this particular thread is one of five and they are not the most interesting, The next is the travel forum which has some promising posts and four threads. It will only select the OP of each topic for display. That forum is where I will switch it to later tonight - I have to log on and back in as Admin and do some gymnastics to achieve that.

The question may come up as to why have it at all. Answer is, I have mixed reasons for building this BB site. One is to have the sort of community going on that we have here, in which I would not need those columns - unless this was a news board where interesting news from around the world is gathered and displayed here, but that is not the case.

The other is for the Morelia ex-pat club, FWB, of which I am the current Prez, and to lure them over to using this site, then the Club can reclaim its Ygroup board for Club events and local interest notes. Problem is, most of them probably have all their digital display devices at home constantly flashing "0" or "12:00" since they were new and find this board intimidating. The ones who have made the leap are somewhat comfortable with the simple and inadequate Ygroups sites. Many of whom would consider taking civil action against anyone even suggesting to edit away unnecessary parts of previous posts and are reluctant to start a new thread so will string 10 replies to the OP with the last four replies saying, "Thank you", "De nada", "Take care", and "Same to you" each going back to and containing the OP.

So, if they come here and nothing is on display they would not know where to find it. But if they happened to start reading a partially displayed post and wanted to read the conclusion they know to start clicking at everywhere at random until something happens. That is generally how they came to learn to use the Ygroup boards. You see what I am up against, right?

What I am afraid will happen is that they will do nothing, despite encouragement to come here and try it, until I throw the "moderate" button on the Club's Ygroup site. Then they will come here finally, and end up driving off everyone that currently posts here. Then when they still "don't get it" will finally leave themselves and I will have two boards with no active members.

Yeah, I'll change it later and put up that transportation forum.
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: I Love To Eat—but:   I Love To Eat—but: EmptyTue 01 Mar 2011, 21:54

Oh the hellwithit. If they come then good for them they will have a powerful communications tool. If they don't then the good group here now will stay and grow at a slow but steady pace. Their loss. No widgets. It will take me a night's rest then I will come up with a topic worth reading and sharing. It was kind of a non-productive day for me. I'm allowed once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

PostSubject: Re: I Love To Eat—but:   I Love To Eat—but: EmptyWed 02 Mar 2011, 07:25

Peter, you are doing fine, but it's only been a week or so since this Foro began, and you should be patient. If you build it, they will come.

I think the majority of users of the Internet can figure out how to open a topic thread. Sophisticated moves, such as Replying or Quoting. etc, may take a bit longer. IMO, adding lots of widgets and gizmos galore just serves to confuse. This is a case of "Less is More".

You can use this period of few registered users to optimize the interface, and you are doing that. Once you reach a reasonably clean interface that satisfies most users. (of course, I only make suggestions to help refine it.) you can then maintain a stable look and feel. Stability is an important thing, especially for older users. Frequent changes of interface can be confusing.

I really appreciate your efforts in starting this Foro and am grateful that you invited me to get in on the ground floor.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: I Love To Eat—but:   I Love To Eat—but: EmptyWed 02 Mar 2011, 08:27

No, Thank YOU for coming. Much thanks to all those who came and are contributing. I am very pleased with the content we've developed here in this short time. There are many interesting topics that I am very delighted to be reading here, beyond any expectations I may have had.

My initial reply to you in this thread was tongue-in-cheek with an ounce of truth which certainly does not apply to anyone in particular. It got me thinking about the chemistry here and what could happen to that balance. I had put out a call to some of the best contributers I know who write and ponder on issues this side of the border. I am exceptionally pleased all came and are sharing their take on life and encounters in this extraordinary land. We have some real stars aboard this ship, a celebrity cruise.

It took me only a moment to re-think the direction it is all going and how I do not wish to disturb this momentum. I owe all of you a debt of gratitude. The content here is really quite excellent. That is what I should be concerned with, doing all that is possible to keep this going. Eventually they will come, but what is being produced in these present moments is what they will come for. My hope is that all of you will stay on-board after their arrival.

For now, no more widgets. I see by taking them out it has re-adjusted the character size and makes it easier to read. I may want to bring back one or two of those features in the future but I have a better idea of how to make them work to enhance this board if I should elect to re-introduce them.

After a good night's sleep and a cup of strong coffee I see a very bright future and a brilliant present.

Back to top Go down
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

PostSubject: Re: I Love To Eat—but:   I Love To Eat—but: EmptyWed 02 Mar 2011, 11:48

Peter wrote:
No, Thank YOU for coming. Much thanks to all those who came and are contributing. I am very pleased with the content we've developed here in this short time. There are many interesting topics that I am very delighted to be reading here, beyond any expectations I may have had.

For now, no more widgets. I see by taking them out it has re-adjusted the character size and makes it easier to read. I may want to bring back one or two of those features in the future but I have a better idea of how to make them work to enhance this board if I should elect to re-introduce them.

Yes, agreed, the layout is vastly improved and clearer without the left sidebar.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: I Love To Eat—but:   I Love To Eat—but: EmptyWed 02 Mar 2011, 12:30

The color scheme I have selected for the board betrays my Moreliano-ness and to some degree my Michoacano-ness as well. Some of the panels are the color of the cantera rosa most of this city was built of. There are some wood hues for Pátzcuaro as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Love To Eat—but:   I Love To Eat—but: Empty

Back to top Go down

I Love To Eat—but:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: AMIGO Roundtable-
Jump to: