All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

San Miguel de Allende Hotel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

Job/hobbies : Importing Quality Mexican Products

San Miguel de Allende Hotel Empty
PostSan Miguel de Allende Hotel

San Miguel de Allende Hotel 70157_pbimg14 San Miguel de Allende Hotel 788782B4-188B-3B72-2EE3CE4727956780

Now that we have beaten Guanajuato to death, I thought that I would pass on a hotel experience in San Miguel de Allende. Back in 2009, we stayed at the Best Western Monteverde Expess after finding a decent rate using our AAA membership. Will certainly not a five star hotel, it was adequate, the rooms were clean, secure parking on the grounds and an easy walk from the main plaza. In making plans for our upcoming trip, I once again made reservations at this hotel and secured one of the best rates I found for our entire trip. They were running a manager's special - stay three nights and pay for two. It worked out to $56.75USD per night and certainly a great deal more attractive than the much higher rates that some hotels want to ding you for:

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/MX/San-Miguel-De-Allende-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Hotel-Monteverde-Express/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=70157

One of the recent additions to the hotel scene in SMA is the Rosewood. The best deal that I could find on their rooms was $285/night. While we have no intention of staying there, we will visit their rooftop bar which was recently named one of the top 10 rooftop bar views by TRAVEL AND LEISURE magazine. I am sure that the drinks and Tapas are pricy but it should allow me to get some interesting photos:

http://www.rosewoodsanmiguel.com/en/dining/luna_rooftop_tapas_bar/
Back to top Go down
http://Coming Soon: www.HaciendaMagnifico.com
Share this post on: reddit

San Miguel de Allende Hotel :: Comments

Peter
Re: San Miguel de Allende Hotel
Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 00:13 by Peter
Added a couple photos to your post from the links you gave. Someday I will have to face the music and take Tere to San Miguel. It's a bit pricier than most places, especially for those of us that live in Michoacán where costs are lower than most places. That was a good hotel price you got and the trip is about two hours from Morelia making it about an hour or more closer than most other destinations we've taken.

She's been talking about the trips we've made which may be a hint that it's time we make another soon. It's been nearly six months since we moved out of the Centro so she's probably right that it's about time.
Don Cuevas
Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 02:03 by Don Cuevas
We stayed twice in SMA last Fall when we went to renew our passports at the U.S. Consular Agency.

Both times, we stayed at the inexpensive and pretty decent Parador San Sebastían, at Calle Mesones # 10.

Rooms are bigger in the old, front section. Those in the rear of the building tend to be smaller. There's a great deal of variation, so look at several rooms before deciding.
If I recall, the rates are around $450 pesos a night. Apparently, all the beds are matrimoniales, so if you need more space, you need to get a room with two beds.

The lower back corridor is a wind tunnel for very cold air in the colder months. It's probably best to get an upstairs room in that season.

I really missed my wifi, and although the San Sebastian is a nice enough place for the price, next time I'd stay somewhere where my Internet needs can be fulfilled. No tvs nor phones.

By the way; they don't take reservations, so it's walk in and hope.
cheenagringo
Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 09:40 by cheenagringo
Peter:

You are correct in pointing out the expense aspect of San Miguel de Allende! The Best Western was in our estimation reasonable given their location and standard amenities such as wireless Internet, TV, on-site breakfast bar/restaurant, decent sized clean rooms and secure parking within the grounds. While I don't remember the name, a local did recommend another even more reasonable hotel closer to the main plaza.

For us, our planned three night stay is sort of an experiment. After our last visit of one afternoon and evening, we came away with a somewhat negative impression of San Miguel de Allende. It sort of reminded us of the Lake Chapala area in that it appears to have been negatively impacted by all of the Gringos. We had lunch at a basic sidewalk cafe on the plaza and were both a bit put off when they charged $80MXN for a bottle of Corona. A bit later, we walked the four or five block long Artisan's Market (Alley) and some of the vendors were quoting prices in USD's. This time we will attempt to get away from the "Gringo hot spots" and hopefully find a more normal Mexican experience.
Peter
Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:59 by Peter
Yes, that's number one. I avoid places in Mexico that quote prices in US dollars. SMA is notorious for that.
Post  by Sponsored content

San Miguel de Allende Hotel

Page 1 of 1