All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Questions re the forum.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
raqueteer
Amigo
raqueteer

Questions re the forum. Empty
PostSubject: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 14:01

I notice that some of the, uh more interesting, Wink topics appear to be closed for further comment. Example no post box underneath, no quote function, and more.

Whassup with that?

Plus, the emoticons will only go in if you are typing, and remember to add them at the time. Apparently adding them later is not an option.

I'm sure I will find more anomalies as I go on, it's genetic. ¡Aguas!
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 14:47

There should not be any closed topics on this board, I don't recall closing any. It is possible some of the topics have not been written on since before I added the Quick-Post box below so may have to use the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the page to bring up the reply box like we did in "the old days".

I don't have the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) function activated so until you post or preview then the emoticons may not show in the text box. They should come up OK in the post.

Also, tip, the Quick-Post box doesn't have as complete an editor as you would have in the Quote, Reply, or Edit screens that come up with those functions. It is scaled-down somewhat but adequate for most quick responses. You can activate the larger editor by clicking and bringing up those screens. Also, I believe I have it set that you can edit any post for up to two days - after that you have to ask me to do it.

Let me know if there are any other difficulties. This is a fairly "intuitive" board but does have a lot of advanced functions that can be confusing at first. Fortunate for me I learned them over time. I am still learning some of them so there are some format changes while we "mature" - the board is not quite 5 months old yet.
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 15:41

I see what is happening now. Some of the forums are set for blog style where the first post is highlighted and the replies are secondary. You are finding the "preview page" but not entering into the topic where all the replies are. This is a different format I am experimenting with and works well to preview topics that have photos, graphics, and whatnot.

This forum is more in a roundtable format and the preview page is merely an index, a list of topics, but no photos are previewed. This is a more standard format so I can understand the other being somewhat confusing. That would also account for your comment about the "more interesting" topics. I put the more interesting forums in the more interesting format. Just try clicking on the topic's title and it should open up to its replies with all the post and edit functions.

It may become a decision I will have to make soon which forums to keep in which format. I believe the News and the Comida sections are natural for the large previews, perhaps some of the others are not.
Back to top Go down
raqueteer
Amigo
raqueteer

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 15:49

Aha, I see it all now. Every board has a different format, so some getting used to is in order.

Saludos,
Jane
Back to top Go down
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 18:51

Los cambios me hacen muy confundido.
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyTue 12 Jul 2011, 19:36

Still confused? There are two formats being used right now.

- One has an index page of all the topics and you click on the title of the one you want to read. It is the common format like used in this forum.

- Other has a preview page that lists the topics and previews the content, photos and you click on the title of the one you want to read. That one is better suited to the News and Comida forums that have a lot of photos. I'm trying it out in a few places and seems good for Lodging/Sale and Trade forums and maybe some other places.

Suggestions?

Somehow the order reversed when I changed-over the Lodgings forum format, putting the most recent post first under the OP. That is reverse of all the rest of the forums. I changed it back to be like the rest. Maybe good order to have for certain time-critical subjects but otherwise confusing to be different than the rest of the site. There would have been no confusion if it hadn't gotten turned around in the first place.

Suggestions?

I had put all of one format type into one category list and the other in the another. That should eliminate some confusion, but the only thing is deciding what format works best for what forum. One, Lodgings, is currently out of place

Suggestions?

Back to top Go down
raqueteer
Amigo
raqueteer

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 10:13

Here's a suggestion. Why not put a sticky at the top about how to use the forum. That way you won't have newbies such as myself constantly asking questions. Something like, new members, this is a must read before starting off. Title, how to nevigate the forums.

Generally I think the forum is just great, and for such a short time, is going extremely well.

I like the different color which shows up if there has been a new comment added.

Just love the humorous posts.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 11:24

Thanks. I guess I could and maybe should put in some kind of guide for how to use these forums, now that I've spent so much time making them more complicated. I could put it along with the Admin Message perhaps. We're still in kind of a state of flux and still experimenting with new discovieries. Hopefully by the time we reach the six-month point there will be no more changes for a good long time.

My impression is that this forum has been modestly successful and continues to grow. I never hit my original target audience but find I have guest readership from around the globe which was somewhat unexpected as this was originally aimed at being just a local talk board. Consequently there has been some changes along the way to expand the areas of interest.

I scour around and "borrow" whatever pieces of humor I can find, so I'm glad that is appreciated.
_________

Since I don't have a "Instructions" section yet I'll mention something here about the avatars. The default avatar originally was some kind of faceless dummy. That probably helped encourage some of the regular posters early-on to post their own personal avatar. Yours is a smiley face I pulled out of our gallery and made the new default character. I had thought it would go back and change all previous default avatars but did not, so yours is one of the first of this new one. Fine, it is very much an improvement to the original IMO.

One can change their avatar by going to their profile first then selecting "avatar" from the menu above the profile page. There are the usual means to load in a personalized avatar from one's own photo or art collection. This site also has a fairly extensive gallery of avatars to choose from as well. My own avatar is selected from the site's gallery.

This is a good topic thread you started. Thanks. Perhaps after awhile I can farm itfor some of the informational stuff needed here. So please, keep asking questions and making comments.

I promised Dawg I would post some needed information for him to help with his moderator duties and tell him how to use the BB codes to put up photos and display YouTube videos. so far I have not done that yet. If anyone needs any "helps" for how to do these things please say so. I'm getting fairly good at this stuff now and can maybe explain it all without too much confusion.

I was very fortunate to find such a well-equipped bulletin board program for this site and it is an on-going education for me as well. One can come here as a newbie to this whole thing and find, at least in some sections, the basics are fairly intuitive and be able to use it withiout great difficulty. They can also see that there is a whole bag of tricks that can be accessed by anyone to use that can greatly enhance their presentations. I have to thank Don Cuevas and others for showing me what a wonderful difference a few photos can make. Besides being a place for casual chatter I am finding this an educational experience as well.
Back to top Go down
raqueteer
Amigo
raqueteer

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 12:39

Peter wrote:
Thanks. I guess I could and maybe should put in some kind of guide for how to use these forums, now that I've spent so much time making them more complicated. I could put it along with the Admin Message perhaps. We're still in kind of a state of flux and still experimenting with new discovieries. Hopefully by the time we reach the six-month point there will be no more changes for a good long time.

My impression is that this forum has been modestly successful and continues to grow. I never hit my original target audience but find I have guest readership from around the globe which was somewhat unexpected as this was originally aimed at being just a local talk board. Consequently there has been some changes along the way to expand the areas of interest.

I scour around and "borrow" whatever pieces of humor I can find, so I'm glad that is appreciated.
_________

Since I don't have a "Instructions" section yet I'll mention something here about the avatars. The default avatar originally was some kind of faceless dummy. That probably helped encourage some of the regular posters early-on to post their own personal avatar. Yours is a smiley face I pulled out of our gallery and made the new default character. I had thought it would go back and change all previous default avatars but did not, so yours is one of the first of this new one. Fine, it is very much an improvement to the original IMO.

One can change their avatar by going to their profile first then selecting "avatar" from the menu above the profile page. There are the usual means to load in a personalized avatar from one's own photo or art collection. This site also has a fairly extensive gallery of avatars to choose from as well. My own avatar is selected from the site's gallery.

This is a good topic thread you started. Thanks. Perhaps after awhile I can farm itfor some of the informational stuff needed here. So please, keep asking questions and making comments.

I promised Dawg I would post some needed information for him to help with his moderator duties and tell him how to use the BB codes to put up photos and display YouTube videos. so far I have not done that yet. If anyone needs any "helps" for how to do these things please say so. I'm getting fairly good at this stuff now and can maybe explain it all without too much confusion.

I was very fortunate to find such a well-equipped bulletin board program for this site and it is an on-going education for me as well. One can come here as a newbie to this whole thing and find, at least in some sections, the basics are fairly intuitive and be able to use it withiout great difficulty. They can also see that there is a whole bag of tricks that can be accessed by anyone to use that can greatly enhance their presentations. I have to thank Don Cuevas and others for showing me what a wonderful difference a few photos can make. Besides being a place for casual chatter I am finding this an educational experience as well.

Done. Quite the collection of avatars you have here. My former one on another board was U.S. currency toilet paper.

For additional traffic, you might want to post a link on the Lake Chapala Informational Forum. The other one is just too dull for words. Or, if you don't want to toot your own horn, I could do it.

Just a suggestion, however I do remember one post which you made there that had us in stitches. Language in your former neighborhood. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

Job/hobbies : Importing Quality Mexican Products

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 12:45

The FAQ section at the top of the board does cover a fair number of questions and issues.
Back to top Go down
http://Coming Soon: www.HaciendaMagnifico.com
raqueteer
Amigo
raqueteer

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 12:56

Right you are Neil, however in my experience, stickies are more noticeable. Kind of like reading the operating instructions for some new gadget, some, including myself, never quite get around to it. lol!
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 12:59

I thought it was men who didn't read directions/instructions or ask for directions when driving! No wonder the GPS industry is doing so well.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 13:04

I can add to the FAQ section if I have more detailed instructions for anyone. I will have to read those myself to see what maybe should be added. Doing so might even answer some things that have been puzzling me here all along as well.
Back to top Go down
raqueteer
Amigo
raqueteer

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 13:14

cheenagringo wrote:
I thought it was men who didn't read directions/instructions or ask for directions when driving! No wonder the GPS industry is doing so well.

Priceless. My husband is a stickler for operating manuals. However never asks for directions. lol!
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 13:20

It seems that I am a classic example! I received a new Nikon for Christmas that was far beyond the standard point and shoot cameras that I have been using recently. While, I had taken over 600 photos since receiving it, I had not read much of the Owner's Manual. Just yesterday, I ran across the manual and thought I might want to do some studying before our Mexico trip. I found out that I hadn't even been close in choosing various settings for the first 600 photos. I'll be damned - it does help to do some reading!
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. EmptyThu 14 Jul 2011, 13:53

raqueteer wrote:
cheenagringo wrote:

Priceless. My husband is a stickler for operating manuals. However never asks for directions. lol!

Your husband probably needs to be very systematic. He probably understands the futility of asking road directions in Mexico. The people never like to disappoint so they will give directions even if they don't have a clue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions re the forum.   Questions re the forum. Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions re the forum.
Page 1 of 1