All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Xalapa recommendations?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
flossiebebe
Amigo
flossiebebe

Xalapa recommendations? Empty
PostXalapa recommendations?

Has any one been to that city lately?
I want to go for a few days during santa semana and wondered if anyone could recommend a good moderately priced place to stay near the centro. I prefer a private bathroom. Any dining tips also welcome.

thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Xalapa recommendations? :: Comments

Peter
Re: Xalapa recommendations?
Post Wed 30 Mar 2011, 12:32 by Peter
flossiebebe wrote:
Has any one been to that city lately?
I want to go for a few days during santa semana and wondered if anyone could recommend a good moderately priced place to stay near the centro. I prefer a private bathroom. Any dining tips also welcome.

thanks in advance

Going any popular place in Mexico during Semana Santa you will find rooms at a premium price. This is perhaps the biggest vacation week of the year. Spring Break in Mexico. Make sure you have confirmed reservations.
Dave and Rosy
modest hotels Xalapa
Post Wed 30 Mar 2011, 18:59 by Dave and Rosy
We suggest the Hotel Clara Luna: http://www.claralunahotel.com.mx/
Av. Manuel Avila Camacho No. 42, Xalapa, Veracruz, México Telephone:+52 228 167 8000

A bit closer in to the park and cathedral is the Hotel Maria Victoria http://www.hotelmariavictoriaxalapa.com/elementos/Contacto/contacto.html

Preference would go to the Clara Luna. Martha Lee and her artist husband have made this into a lovely spot at reasonable rate...

If you prefer a private residence with neighboring quarters, JalapaRoy Dudley, jalaparoy@gmail.com, 228-817-8010, offers his rental units and is an interesting and engaging fellow
http://www.jalaparoy.com/

Buen viaje...
Peter
Post Thu 31 Mar 2011, 01:41 by Peter
Thank you very much Dave and Rosy for answering the OP with what you can recommend in Xalapa. I regret I have not yet visited this area. I would like to reiterate to floosiebebe about what I mentioned previously about traveling here during Semana Santa, it can be done then and you can have a very enjoyable time but it is Mexican Spring Break week and hotels and buses will often be found at capacity then. Just understand how that can impact your travels.
Don Cuevas
La Posada del Cafeto, Xalapa
Post Thu 31 Mar 2011, 06:32 by Don Cuevas
Flossiebebe, it has truly been years since my wife and I were in Xalapa. In fact, it was 1994. <GASP!>
So, my info is hardly recent. But it still might be useful.

We stayed at the Posada del Cafeto, a small hotel off center but within a 10 minute walk. It was very pleasant and we had a choice of rooms of different styles.
It's part of a small, local chain. http://www.pradodelrio.com/e_pdc.htm

The big sister hotel, El Mesón de Alferez, is located more centrically and is plusher and more expensive, as one might imagine.

A comment about traveling during Semana Santa: while there is definitely an increase in passenger counts on busses, and coastal destination hotels fill up, much depends on the nature of your destination. For example, Mexico City tends to be less busy, as many of the inhabitants head to the beach. Pátzcuaro tends to fill up, as it's associated with specific religious observances. So, a lot depends on the popularity of your destination, viz a viz lodging availability and prices.

I can't comment much on restaurants of Xalapa, other than its proximity to Cd. Veracruz make seafood a good choice. Also, it's a noted coffee growing area, so there are many cafeterías and pastelerías. I suggest that you check the lonelyplanet.com/thorntree Mexico Branch for more recommendations, as well as Chowhound.com specifically for dining.

Nearby Xico, Veracruz, close to Coatepec, is noted for a special mole, as well as fruit and herb liqueurs, especially the famed "Verde" de Xico. It might be worth a bus ride out there to see the waterfall of Teocelo (sp?) which featured in the film, "Romancing the Stone", and have comida at one of the restaurants in Xico.

"John Calypso", who has posted here and has a blog, "Viva Veracruz!" lives nearby and may be able to add useful tips.
Dave and Rosy
Dining in Xalapa
Post Thu 31 Mar 2011, 11:42 by Dave and Rosy
Having lived last year in Xico, we recommend La Molienda, enjoy the river and for $75 pesos a "trucha al mojo de ajo" to die for! A lovely place with excellent service and reasonable prices.

Xalapa recommendations? Hasta%20la%20Vista%20Xico%20%2015 Xalapa recommendations? Xico%20make%20the%20deal%20%2014

In Xalapa, we liked "La Fonda" balcony dining for breakfast and lunch... one block from the cathedral complete with marimba music across the street occasionally heard over the traffic noise! But, still a fun, enjoyable, where it's happening spot

And yes, the Texolo falls together with the short hike to the Monja falls is a highlight of the area. But, don't forget your Autan bug repellent!

Xalapa recommendations? Teocelo%203
flossiebebe
xalapa recommendations
Post Thu 31 Mar 2011, 14:34 by flossiebebe
Thanks for the suggestions.
I love trucha so can't wait to try that meal. I plan to book my accommodations asap, although with buses I have some flexibillity

FYI....this is not my first year in Mexico or time experiencing Santa Semana.

Although I do appreciate the tips.
flossiebebe
Xalapa area
Post Sun 10 Apr 2011, 10:57 by flossiebebe
Dave and Rosy wrote:
Having lived last year in Xico, we recommend La Molienda, enjoy the river and for $75 pesos a "trucha al mojo de ajo" to die for! A lovely place with excellent service and reasonable prices.

Xalapa recommendations? Hasta%20la%20Vista%20Xico%20%2015 Xalapa recommendations? Xico%20make%20the%20deal%20%2014

In Xalapa, we liked "La Fonda" balcony dining for breakfast and lunch... one block from the cathedral complete with marimba music across the street occasionally heard over the traffic noise! But, still a fun, enjoyable, where it's happening spot

And yes, the Texolo falls together with the short hike to the Monja falls is a highlight of the area. But, don't forget your Autan bug repellent!

So I've got 4 nights booked in Xalapa, 1 in Corboda and 2 in Orixaba. This creekside restaurants looks great. Where do I find it in Xico?
Xalapa recommendations? Teocelo%203
Dave and Rosy
la Molienda Xico
Post Sun 10 Apr 2011, 11:46 by Dave and Rosy
http://www.lamoliendadexico.com/
Peter
Post Sun 10 Apr 2011, 13:18 by Peter
Dave and Rosy wrote:
http://www.lamoliendadexico.com/

Hi Dave and Rosy, I expect you are settled into Pátzcuaro by now and getting comfortable. Far off the region but not far from the topic, there is a nice restaurant I like not far from you in/by Arócutin close to Erongaricuaro that specializes in trucha. A full page of their menu is dedicated to trucha and their german sausages are excellent, accented by their beautiful setting and ambience.

Campestre Alemán is on the lake-side of the highway around the backside of L. Pátzcuaro just a few minutes before arriving in Erongaricuaro. It is one of my favorite outings to leave out of Morelia and pick up some things in Capula, then head into Quiroga for some more shopping, then travel the back side of L. Pátzcuaro to Eronga then have comida at Campestre Alemán. Afterwards we usually continue on to Pátzcuaro, maybe have some ice cream there, then take the highway back into Morelia making a full circle.
Post  by Sponsored content

Xalapa recommendations?

Page 1 of 1