All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

Job/hobbies : Importing Quality Mexican Products

Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites Empty
PostSubject: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 17:05

I had forgotten my extreme aggravation at this topic until I received a reminder today. After two full years as a Flickr Pro Account member, it was time to renew my annual membership back in early December. I went to their membership services area and made a payment using AMEX that was rejected - in fact, I attempted 8 times over the period of three days with the same result. AMEX security called me to inquire about my making 8 payments of the same amount. It turned out, they had issued an approval code each time but Yahoo/Flickr kept rejecting the payments as unauthorized. With an investment of two years and close to 6000 photos being hosted, I really wasn't initially willing to flush the works. Yahoo will only deal through emails but even after obtaining "secret phone numbers", I wasn't able to resolve the problem since it was always either myself or AMEX that was in the wrong. I filed complaints with AMEX for their violating their Merchant Agreement and with the San Jose, CA BBB.

I knew that the DON used Picasa and another friend used same for their photo hosting and decided to go that route. While the transition was a bit cumbersome, I was able to grasp the new concept and am now very happy with this new choice!

After deleting all my photos from Flickr and going through all the work, I received an apology from a real person at Yahoo Flickr suggesting that I would be granted 3 months free. Since it wasn't of any interest, I basically told them to stick it. She then upped the offer to 3 months plus one year free. Same response from my end. By the way, this action was initiated as a direct result of the BBB complaint. Today I received a reminder that my three months was up and I needed to pay up.

For anyone considering a web photo hosting service - I suggest that you stay a long way away from YAHOO/Flickr!
Back to top Go down
http://Coming Soon: www.HaciendaMagnifico.com
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 18:25

CG, I gave Flickr a trial about the same time I was testing Picasa. It only took about 3 days to make a decision. I went with Picasa.
At the time, I was thinking that Flickr was one of the best of the generally inferior Yahoo products. But Picasa is better, and shows the images faster when in full screen view. (Referring to the website, not the Picasa consumer app,)

I wish you'd known about Upload Junction, a free service that will transfer your photos from one web photo host to another. Now, I haven't tried it, and I don't know if it empties out the old albums or merely copies them to the new. I suspect the latter. I have had a Pbase account since 2002, and there's a consderable body of my early, often flawed work there. Bt it's meaningful to me. I'd use Upload Junction to do a transfer, but I'd hate to have my multi-nested Pbase albums dumped willy-nilly into my flat view Picasa Albums.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 18:56

Upload Junction would have been great BUT when they refused my payment, they blocked viewing of all but 200 of the 6000 or so photos. To compound the workload, many of the photos hosted on Flickr had not been transferred from my old desktop with Window ME to my newer laptop. Secondly, I had never used Picasa and had to do a great deal of photo and file juggling into Picasa. In fact, when I went to delete my files, I could only delete 200 at a time and then wait a period of time till they allowed another 200 to be viewed.

Given the total lack of customer service within Yahoo, I made the commitment that Yahoo would never receive one dime of my money at any time in the future! As it was, I was looking into various website hosting services and Yahoo was never included in my research. I decided on GO DADDY and talk about customer/tech support! 24/7 seven days a week and a very apparent positive attitude when assisting you!

Since I was under some time pressure and the constraint that I needed to get to work on the website, I do admit to some cleanup and further organization that needs to be done to my Picasa albums.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 19:12

Are there any free photo-hosting sites? For reasons Cheenagringo mentions, since I have retired I don't use any kind of remote paying systems, credit cards, or anything of the sorts. Not sure what your hosting services cost but I think that part would be the least of my concerns. The method for paying is the hard part. This site is only given 20Mb.
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 19:26

Picasa is free up to a certain file quota. I'd have to look it up to find out. I think WebShots is free, but the pages carry tacky ads.
Picasa web albums info here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
WebShots here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
There is, or was, Image Shack: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Free version has ads, Premium does not.

ZenFolio looks grand, but it's for pros and it's not free. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peter, by "20 mb", you meant this ForoActivo only allows that much file space to images?
Pbase is neither free nor easy to use. It's infamous for lack of customer support. There was also a site crash a couple of years ago that lasted, oh, 6 days. (I could be wrong on the duration.)
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 19:36

Peter:

Picasa, which is part of Google, allows you 1GB of free storage and that is a bunch of photos depending on the size that you choose to upload. It does require that you have a gmail account, which is no big deal to set up. What I did was create two different accounts - one for our personal photos and then another for our HaciendaMagnifico needs. On our personal account, I am at about 70% of capacity and about 80% on the company account. They are super reasonable on added storage. They charge $5 USD for 20GB of added storage per year. I was trying to pay $24.95USD per year for the Flickr Pro Account.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 20:22

I believe photos can be posted here as long as they reside someplace on the net. Between this project and some other I have it would be nice to have some photo place. 1Gb sounds sufficient for my needs. I suppose that type of site would be all that I need to put up my own comida and assorted photos?? Each photo carries its own address for open access to view them?
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 20:38

Yes Peter, each album or individual photo has its own address.

For example:

My address for all albums: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My address for Tzintzuntzan album: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My address for one photo within Tzintzuntzan album: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now I need to get off my butt and figure out just how to insert a photo like the Don has been able to do. I figured out the link for You Tube very easily but haven't taken the time

The 1GB of storage is a whole bunch! If your primary purpose is to use for the forum, then I would suggest uploading in a small format and that would give you even more storage. All depends on what you want to do.

The Don mentioned Webshots. We have one supplier who uses this hosting service and from my point of view, it is a PITA! For example, in order for me to access and download his product photos, I had to sign up for their "Pro Account". On top of that, it is a really tough service to utilize. I would never have paid if I had not needed access to his product photos!
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptySun 06 Mar 2011, 21:05

I imagine it is just a matter of using the (img)http etcera.etc(/img) and the site is set to auto-adjust the size to 640x480. Or does it get worse than that?

I just got a gmail account. Now what? I didn't see anything telling me about photos.
Back to top Go down
CanuckBob
Amigo
CanuckBob

Job/hobbies : Classic cars
Humor : sick & twisted

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptyWed 09 Mar 2011, 18:53

For what it may be worth, I use a free site called photobucket. Seems to work good.
Back to top Go down
http://lakechapalainfo.bigforumpro.com/
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptyWed 09 Mar 2011, 19:14

Bob:

Other than viewing some other people's albums in Photobucket but have no experience with the service. When converting to Picasa, I dug into their "tag system" and made every attempt to get tags on most of my photos. One of the other features on Picasa that I personally think is great is one's ability to locate a photo location and tag it to a Google Map location. While it is a bit tedious since you have to do it on an individual photo basis. One of the things that I am looking into for use with my new camera is a GPS accessory that keeps track of the exact GPS location of each photo that one takes. When we take one of our treks to Mexico, I often have trouble remembering exactly where a photo is taken unless I either do the sort along the way or immediately after getting back home.
Back to top Go down
CanuckBob
Amigo
CanuckBob

Job/hobbies : Classic cars
Humor : sick & twisted

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptyWed 09 Mar 2011, 21:00

See, you need an IPhone. It does exactly that when you take a picture with it. Plus you can access the forum from wherever you are......LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://lakechapalainfo.bigforumpro.com/
alpinelakes
Amigo

PostSubject: Panoramio for Photo Hosting   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 06:11

I use flickr and picassa and photobucket
but I like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the best, by far.

All of them are free up to a certain amount of space, no?
I've never paid for any online storage

Of course I have a sneaking suspicion
That Google now owns my photos

And will probably, eventually sue me
Back to top Go down
Don Cuevas
Amigo
Don Cuevas

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 07:26

Alpine Lakes wrote:
Quote :
I use flickr and picassa and photobucket
but I like Panoramio the best, by far.

I looked at your Panoramio home page, then followed on through to log in on my own account. I discovered that I already had a Panoramio account (not a big surprise, as I'm already a Gmail and Picasa user and I signed up to edit Google Maps.). However, my Panoramio account is empty of photos.

I'm wonderng if the upload method is web based, or more like using the Picasa Upload Tool within that program. Really, I'm not keen on starting a new place to store and share photos, but if Panoramio has significant advantages, I'll consider it.

Of course, Panoramio is for photos of places, not food!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites   Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites Empty

Back to top Go down

Flickr or Other Photo Hosting Sites
Page 1 of 1