All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sangrita Don Jaime

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimRP
Amigo
JimRP

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : Oblique

Sangrita Don Jaime Empty
PostSangrita Don Jaime

This is my recipe for home made sangrita. It is still a work in progress, and if anyone has any recommendations after trying it, I would welcome your comments:

Sangrita Don Jaime

Combine in a 1 liter container:

½ cup fresh orange juice
½ cup Peñafiel Toronja refresca
Juice of about 1½ limes
1½ cups tomato juice
2 teaspoons Tabasco Sauce
3 dashes of pepper
4 dashes of salt
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Maggi Salsa
1 tsp soy sauce
½ tbsp Hunts Original BBQ sauce

Stir together thoroughly and adjust spices to taste. Refrigerate. This makes about a liter of sangrita. I usually double it.

Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Sangrita Don Jaime :: Comments

Peter
Re: Sangrita Don Jaime
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 18:47 by Peter
Thanks. Sounds like it would make a pretty good michelada, a decent tequila mix, and a great stand-alone. For a michelada I might pass on the toronja and let the cerveza stand-in for it.

What might seem a complicated formula at first I can see myself doing something similar but adding a dash of this, a splash of that, a few shakes of another, and a good bit of something else. I can see where inconsistencies might come into play with others doing the same as I.

Quite likely when I try this I would be using Clamato (or the off-brand Kermato) in place of tomato juice.

JimRP
Post Thu 07 Jul 2011, 19:48 by JimRP
Pete, of course this is the kind of thing where there are no rules--what ever you like is fine.

To me, great sangrita has three characteristics: 1) It is spicy but not killer hot. 2) It has complex, multi-layered flavor. 3) It is somewhat thick. I'm happy with mine on the first two, but it should be thicker. My next challenge is to play with tomato paste or ground tomatoes or some such to thicken it.

I adapted this from a recipe that called for fresh grapefruit juice instead of the refresca, but with both fresh and canned I found it too sour. The sweetness of the refresca to me adds a great dimension to the flavor.
Post  by Sponsored content

Sangrita Don Jaime

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: La Comida-
Jump to: