All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Getting my new VISA

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Peter
Amigo

Humor : Ironic

PostSubject: Getting my new VISA   Mon 13 Jun 2011, 19:45

I was pleasantly surprised today that I had gotten through INM so quickly after last year's three-hour waits and a couple of return trips with that same wait time. I was in and out today, including walking a couple blocks over to the bank to pay the fees, getting copies, and returning I was done there in an hour.

Last year was the last renewal on my fm3, and after having gone through that process a number of times in the past few years I was familiar with the process, the requirements, and the final renewal should just be a matter of routine. Wrong! I realize they had just switched to the cards instead of the visa booklets and that would slow things a bit, but it was more than that last year, people at the counter that were demanding things that were impossible - in June and presenting my bank statements for March, April, and May the person at the counter asked, "Where is June's?" I had to explain that statement had not yet come out because it was still June. There were more hang-ups but that one stood out as being one of the more assinine. It was a trying ordeal and made me dread having to return this year.

With all my renewals run out I really expected the worst by having to start a new visa application all over again, and the options, whether I would qualify for what, etc. I was as well-prepared as possible. Turned out I didn't have the least hassle. They told me that after 5 years on and fm3 it was customary to give an fm2. Do I qualify? I asked. They gave me a monthly amount figure and I told them I didn't make that much on my retirement, then handed them my bank statements.

One look and she asked me if that was in pesos or dollars? Dollars I told her, then with another quick glance she said, "No problem, you have enough money for an fm2." That was pretty much the extent of the first 4 minutes at the counter. Photos? Don't have them yet? That's OK, you can bring them when you come back to pick up your visa. There was another form that I needed to fill out and she let me stand at the counter filling that out while she gathered my stuff and organized it. That took another 5 minutes. She gave me the bank forms, apologized that there was that extra charge for putting me on the civil register but that would be the only time to have to do that.

So bank forms in hand Tere and I walked across Camelinas and about two and a half blocks down to the bank, stopped at the ATM machine then walked to the place in line, though there was no line, and immediately got called to the window. A very pleasant person at the window, took my forms, my money, processed them, then gave me the forms back for INM. We walked back, got copies at a store about two or three doors down from INM office and returned them to the window which had no line or anyone waiting. I was asked to wait a few moments to receive a form and a return appointment, another 5 minutes at most. I was told to return next Monday to pick up my new visa.

Just after driving away I looked at the clock and saw that it was barely over an hour since we first arrived there. I have to get photos taken this week then next Monday can return. It probably will take 10 or 15 minutes or more for them to accept my photos then laminate them into the new card. I think I can do that easily without my patience being tried. Last year that part alone took another three hours but I don't anticipate anything of the sort happening next week when I return.

Easy peasy. I don't even mind doing this once a year. I enjoyed the smiles and pleasant people.

http://amigo.forumotion.com/
Dave and Rosy
Amigo

Job/hobbies : underemployed
Humor : buen

PostSubject: Re: Getting my new VISA   Tue 14 Jun 2011, 17:32

Felicidades...

...our own personal same experience both in Acapulco and Xalapa ... amazing the contrast with the incredible issues and bureaucratic B...S... we and too many friends have suffered through at the hands of both the good ol' USofA and Canadian "authorities" in response to a request to issue a tourist visa (you know, equivalent to an FMT) to a Mexican national... the visit of a Mexican tourist with money in hand and in the bank is still not very welcome in either of those two countries if the visitor's being welcome is measured by frustration, delay, lack of technical know-how, rudeness, callous officiousness and issuance officialdom's universal immeasurable lack of courtesy in meeting the traveler's visa and other visitor paperwork imperatives. I was, and continue to be, embarrassed thereby. Let's not even contemplate a discussion of the process to authorize work or residency requiring a longer term visa.

Remember... The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Emma Lazarus, 1883

It appears to me that beloved statue may deserve and NEED relocating!

And again, Bienvenidos Pete...

Viva México
Back to top Go down
Hound Dog
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Getting my new VISA   Sun 19 Jun 2011, 15:06

Dave and Rosy wrote:
Felicidades...

al... the visit of a Mexican tourist with money in hand and in the bank is still not very welcome in either of those two countries if the visitor's being welcome is measured by frustration, delay, lack of technical know-how, rudeness, callous officiousness and issuance officialdom's universal immeasurable lack of courtesy in meeting the traveler's visa and other visitor paperwork imperatives. I was, and continue to be, embarrassed thereby. Let's not even contemplate a discussion of the process to authorize work or residency requiring a longer term visa.

Remember... The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Emma Lazarus, 1883

It appears to me that beloved statue may deserve and NEED relocating!

And again, Bienvenidos Pete...

Viva México

I´m a U.S. citizen and my wife is a French citizen. We both hold immigrado status in Mexico and seldom leave Mexico except to visit relatives in France. Since my wife is a French citizen she needs no visa to travel to the U.S. but, guess what, she does need an ESTA clearance from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to get off the plane or cross the border or she´s turned back. According to the ESTA cleaance, she could still be turned back even with that clearance. She should also have an e-passport which she doesn´t because her French passport was issued in 2003. Oh well, if they turn us back at the Phoenix airport we can fly back to Guadalajara and at least she won´t be bugging me about going to the U.S. again - EVER.

Originally we had planned to drive from Lake Chapala to Ciudad Juarez but became concerned about breaking our windshield running into human heads tossed from overpasses in Chihuahua State on our way to Santa Fe so decided to fly instead. When we had intended to drive we invited a 12 year old Zapoteco kid who´s the son of friends of ours so he could see the Grand Canyon, Santa Fe and all sorts of interesting places from Taos to Canyon de Chelly and he was beside himself with excitement since he´s never been out of Oaxaca or Jalisco and places in between in his life. Then we attempted the visa issuance process for this kid whose father holds a ten year work/travel visa to the U.S. We were only going to be with the kid in the U.S. for three weeks on a strictly tourist visa. We applied four weeks in advance for a simple tourist visa with our driving him into the U.S. and driving him back down here afterwards. What a nightmare.The tourist visa application process is complicated and navigation of the U.S. State Department´s web site is akin to a journey through purgatory. An impossible task for our indigenous friends and nearly impossible for us. The application must be completed only in English and even one mistake means rejection and re-application with another fee from scratch. After going through hell for a few days, we were finally informed by the state dapartment´s visa office that it would take a minimum of 49 days even to get an interview to see if they just might issue this innocent little 12 year old Mexican citizen a visa to visit the frigging Grand Canyon in the company of an American citizen. Land of the free and home of the brave my butt.

I may have to write this place off except for the Social Security Administration.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Getting my new VISA   Mon 20 Jun 2011, 23:50

Stop the honeymoon! I went to INM today to pick up my new visa as they requested, got to wait about half an hour, then was told to come back tomorrow for a "maybe" that they might have it ready. Said something about their net connections with DF was troublesome and things are delayed.

After talkng it over with Tere we will just wait until Thursday to return and expect they will have their problems worked out by then.

Seems they don't have a problem with bringing us in and letting us wait for nothing. Probably think gringos are always in such a hurry that telling us to return the next day will make us happy, even if it is for nothing. Wrong!!

Broad generalization here but, gringos will typically prefer to get unpleasant tasks out of the way ASAP rather than putting them off to the last moment. Driving across town and waiting to get nothing accomplished is among the most distasteful of ALL tasks. Those things I would rather avoid altogether. I would prefer to wait a few extra days until there is some assurance that things WILL be ready when I do arrive.

Then there is Dawg's post about dealing with US bureaucracy. I am of the opinion that people become illegal aliens because it is just a hell of a lot easier than dealing with the damn system.

Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Getting my new VISA   Wed 06 Jul 2011, 15:21

Never finished my story I see. That following Monday they did not issue the visa because of computer problems and asked I return the next day. I decided to wait until Friday of that week just to be sure. At that point the computer was up and running, few people were in the office waiting, and they put my card together for me right away.

On the first visit I did not have the photos but was told that was OK because they were not needed until I returned to pick up the new visa card. Just like they said, took the photos, I signed the card, and in a few moments they laminated it and I was in and out of that office in less than half an hour.

It really was fairly quick and easy. Delayed that one day for computer problems but all the rest went quickly and easily.

Don Cuevas
Amigo

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

PostSubject: Re: Getting my new VISA   Wed 06 Jul 2011, 18:16

Quote :
Just like they said, took the photos

THEY took the photos, there in the INM office??
I'm reading that two ways. The other meaning is that you brought them the photos, and they took them and laminated them into the card.

The second meaning is the likely one.
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Getting my new VISA   Wed 06 Jul 2011, 20:29

Don Cuevas wrote:
Quote :
Just like they said, took the photos

THEY took the photos, there in the INM office??
I'm reading that two ways. The other meaning is that you brought them the photos, and they took them and laminated them into the card.

The second meaning is the likely one.

From previous post - "On the first visit I did not have the photos but was told that was OK because they were not needed until I returned to pick up the new visa card."

I handed the photos to the people at the counter (there were two persons) and they took them and laminated them into the card.

Rather strange verb we use for photography. Reminds me of those tribal folk that think we are stealing their souls with our cameras. Maybe there is something to that, we seem to admit there is. We don't "give" a photo, we don't "make" a photo, we don't "do" a photo, we don't "have" a photo, but we do "take" a photo - kind of like stealing something doesn't belong to us, or maybe it is more polite to let someone offer us their photo before we take it. I know I hate to be on camera unless I intend to be "on-camera" and am prepared to do a routine.

The INM office in Morelia has no camera, you need to carry your own photos to them.

Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Getting my new VISA   Wed 06 Jul 2011, 21:43

BTW, Sr. Cuevas, I responded to you on Mich.Net about calling the INM office but it hasn't yet posted after a couple hours or more.

We had to call INM and they answered the phone OK. They asked us to call back the next day also but said the best time to call them was after 1pm after their office closes. They stay there doing paperwork for a couple more hours or so and it is much less busy then.

If my reply to you on that board works out like the Uruapan Plaza Hotel reply you may expect to see it post sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening. Yahoo is getting awfully quirky lately. Holding a post caused one of the members on Morelia_Amigos board to unsubscribe as they thought they were being moderated by us. It was all Yahoo's doing.

David himself has commented to me he believes this AMIGO board is a much more stable platform, but those people love their Ygroups boards, quirks and all.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting my new VISA   

Back to top Go down

Getting my new VISA
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: ¡Bienvenidos! General Topics-
Jump to: