All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Community Pride

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hound Dog
Amigo

PostSubject: Community Pride   Thu 28 Apr 2011, 13:28

I personally don´t care that much for Michoacan but I must admit that Morelia and its ostentatious but skillfully constructed cathedral are impressive to the eye and that is a fine place in a mundane hillside town characterised by unshaded hillsides of no visual merit which. however, at least has a fine colonial center surrounded by acres upon acres of ordinary concrete misery. What a hellhole but with a soul and a Burger King on the plaza. Time spent in that plaza are composites of moments in hell. But it´s mighty impressive.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo

Humor : Ironic

PostSubject: Community Awareness   Thu 28 Apr 2011, 16:09

What might be fun for you, Dawg, if you should ever pass this way again, I might suggest you open your eyes next time you visit. One of the first things you may notice is Morelia is not actually a "hillside town" but occupies the Guayangareo Valley. I might direct your attention to the logo photo at the top of each AMIGO page where Morelia's skyline is pictured so as to demonstrate that.

I am pleased you managed to notice Morelia's architecture, though I wonder if you know the color of the cantera used from which the city derives its nickname. I am further delighted the city's fathers were clever enough to build its Catedral, the tallest in Latin America, just across the street from where several hundred years later there would be located a Burger King from which you might happen to look up and see it.

http://amigo.forumotion.com/
Hound Dog
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Sat 30 Apr 2011, 16:25

Peter wrote:
What might be fun for you, Dawg, if you should ever pass this way again, I might suggest you open your eyes next time you visit. One of the first things you may notice is Morelia is not actually a "hillside town" but occupies the Guayangareo Valley. I might direct your attention to the logo photo at the top of each AMIGO page where Morelia's skyline is pictured so as to demonstrate that.

I am pleased you managed to notice Morelia's architecture, though I wonder if you know the color of the cantera used from which the city derives its nickname. I am further delighted the city's fathers were clever enough to build its Catedral, the tallest in Latin America, just across the street from where several hundred years later there would be located a Burger King from which you might happen to look up and see it.

Dawg never wrote that Peter. That was Mr. Hyde who somehow got hold of Dawg´s password. I must admit, however, that I agree that it was amazingly prescient of Morelia´s forefathers to know to build that cathedral within sight of a Burger King franchise before there even was a Burger King chain.

Morelia´s colonial architecture is indeed impressive and its cathedral is among the most beautiful I´ve seen. I believe that posting by Mr. Hyde was inspired by a massive traffic jam on a hot day a few years ago and the breathing of automobile fumes on that unpleasant and interminable afternoon drive through unrelenting traffic may have colored his judgment as he drove from a ridge overlooking the city back into centro.

I do not know Morelia´s nickname but I would say cantera from that area is of a pinkish hue since that is the color of the small animal sculptures we have been collecting from there over the past few years.

We soon return to Lake Chapala from Chiapas and have been thinking perhaps of visiting Morelia later in the summer for other business and, while there, trying some local cuisine other than the imported Cheese Whopper especially favored by the aforementioned Mr. Hyde. Perhaps you will be so kind as to join us for lunch to enlighten us on the culinary offerings thereabouts now that the true expert on Michoacan cooking has moved on to the big city.
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo

Job/hobbies : Importing Quality Mexican Products

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Sat 30 Apr 2011, 18:23

Since the Dawg is such a connoisseur of the Whopper, he may be pleased to know that in the backwater lands of New Mexico, he can receive said Whopper with green chiles. Not only does Burger King offer this local variation but also Mikey D's and Wendy's.

Along the architectural lines, we had a meeting yesterday with the Mayor and Police Chief of Santa Fe, NM prompted by the royal visit in July of the Grand Dawg and his lovely bride, Brigitte. All cultural and historical heritage buildings will be scrubbed and tip top shape for the visit. They are both working on other issues and surprises for the visit!
Back to top Go down
http://Coming Soon: www.HaciendaMagnifico.com
Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Sat 30 Apr 2011, 18:37

Quote :
I do not know Morelia´s nickname but I would say cantera from that area is of a pinkish hue since that is the color of the small animal sculptures we have been collecting from there over the past few years.

Sí, "Ciudad de la Cantera Rosa" or City of Pink Stone, something to that effect. Perhaps the animal sculptures you refer are like those of my favorite cartoon animal and also the subject and title of the late Peter Sellers famous jewelry-heist movie, La Pantera Rosa. Such sound-alikes can be confusing.

Quote :
Morelia´s colonial architecture is indeed impressive and its cathedral is among the most beautiful I´ve seen. I believe that posting by Mr. Hyde was inspired by a massive traffic jam on a hot day a few years ago and the breathing of automobile fumes on that unpleasant and interminable afternoon drive through unrelenting traffic may have colored his judgment as he drove from a ridge overlooking the city back into centro.

The people of Morelia are indeed proud of their impressive landmark feature Catedral. In the days past when one travelled the highway from Guadalajara to Mexico City and found Morelia at its half-way point they made that trek with no appreciable change in elevation going through there. Now, however, the autopista cuts around the eastern side of Morelia and to enter the town one must use a portion of the old highway coming in from Guanajuato where those travellers and the social-conscious will find they encounter a slight climb to achieve Morelia's plateau.

Quote :
We soon return to Lake Chapala from Chiapas and have been thinking perhaps of visiting Morelia later in the summer for other business and, while there, trying some local cuisine other than the imported Cheese Whopper especially favored by the aforementioned Mr. Hyde. Perhaps you will be so kind as to join us for lunch to enlighten us on the culinary offerings thereabouts now that the true expert on Michoacan cooking has moved on to the big city.

We look forward to your return Lakeside. We recently had a visit scheduled to Ajijic but as I had to deal with a bout of the flu and now our new kitchen just nearing completion I am delaying that trip for a few weeks. Perhaps we will time our visit to just after your return. We would also look forward to accompanying you for lunch here in Morelia, perhaps even suggesting where we might wish to dine if such a suggestion would be acceptable coming from the likes of us casual diners who cannot claim with validity any expertise in such matters.

Lamentable that our former resident-expert in all culinary matters has moved-on to the big city. Among her most grievous concerns about living here in Morelia she would cite the levels of danger and volume of traffic she would encounter here so has moved to Mexico City to escape those. As usual I find her solutions somewhat counter-intuitive, but then again I never claimed to be an expert in any thing as such. But mourn not as until very recently she would still be found haunting the other local message groups, or at least the one Pátzcuaro board in whose community she was perhaps less well-known.

In recent discussions on that message board, where she would invariably chime-in any time safety was bought up and someone might dare understate the potential dangers one could possibly encounter, I regret having had the unmitigated audacity to challenge her claim to still being a "local" to this area. She defended this position by her claim to having lived in Morelia some three years and making Mexico her home for several decades. In a private e-mail she sent to me she re-stated her claim to continue to speak for us all but as I told her online that when she opens her front door and sees and hears the sounds of her new home those are the sights and sounds of Mexico City now and not Morelia and greater Michoacán. In that private mailing she re-stated her claim but I answered by stating that unless she was claiming sainthood or being a deity I was not buying her claim to omni-presence. I believe at this moment she is attempting to receive canonization before furthering our discussion. We all wish her well.

Last edited by Peter on Sun 01 May 2011, 05:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Sat 30 Apr 2011, 19:29

cheenagringo wrote:
Along the architectural lines, we had a meeting yesterday with the Mayor and Police Chief of Santa Fe, NM prompted by the royal visit in July of the Grand Dawg and his lovely bride, Brigitte. All cultural and historical heritage buildings will be scrubbed and tip top shape for the visit. They are both working on other issues and surprises for the visit!

Suggest they locate a Burger King in sight and close proximity of any notable areas of interest.

Greg

PostSubject: A vote for Morelia   Sat 30 Apr 2011, 20:26

I don't technically have a dog in this fight, because I haven't yet made the move to Mexico (hoping to very soon!) but I have traveled to virtually every corner of Mexico and, Burger King aside, I think Morelia rates very high relative to the cities of comparable size in Mexico.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Sun 01 May 2011, 12:47

Greg wrote:
I don't technically have a dog in this fight, because I haven't yet made the move to Mexico (hoping to very soon!) but I have traveled to virtually every corner of Mexico and, Burger King aside, I think Morelia rates very high relative to the cities of comparable size in Mexico.

I am proud to call Morelia my home. I am not lacking for anything here, except perhaps not being able to find a good pastrami sandwich anywhere. It is a good life here, plenty of things to see and do, plenty of events being put on all the time. It is coming up on 4 years since I have left Mexico at all and I don't have the slightest urge to do so for any reason.

I have a number of reasons for saying so, too many to list, but I know of no area beyond Morelia/Pátzcuaro that I would more highly recommend for finding just the right size, right feel and fit community anywhere else. If you must live at the beach then that is different, It is about a three-hour drive out to the coast from here but after living most all my life on the southern California coast I am comfortable enough with that.

Hound Dog
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Sun 01 May 2011, 13:41

cheenagringo wrote:
Since the Dawg is such a connoisseur of the Whopper, he may be pleased to know that in the backwater lands of New Mexico, he can receive said Whopper with green chiles. Not only does Burger King offer this local variation but also Mikey D's and Wendy's.

Thank you cheenagringo. Dawg looks forward to the culinary treasures awaiting him and his bride in Santa Fe and parts thereabouts after a ten plus year hiatus from the United States if, indeed, New Mexico still clings to the illusion that it is part of that political entity. If memory serves me, the preponderant architectural feature of Santa Fe is the ubiquitous chain link fence enclosing the equally ubiquitous faux-adobe, squirrely New Mexico cottage and then the infamous double-wide of South Alabama fame. Since Dawg inadvertently brought up the double-wide mobile home that began to curse his native Alabama in the 1950s along with those extraordinarily ugly signs announcing the proximity of a Mr. Steak Franchise or a Primitive Baptist Church or the imminent return of Jesus´ in a foul mood or a grease-joint where one could elevate one´s cholesterol level with Hush-Puppies and corn-battered shrimp, allow me to repeat why Dawg fled west heading toward the Santa Monica Pier from Mobile Bay in 1966 only to discover that Nanette Funicello was Troy Donahue in drag which was OK by Dawg as any sexual apparatus is fine as long as it works for you and, what the hell, the folks Dawg met at Manhattan Beach were every bit as uninformed and confused as the people Dawg had left down on the bayou and that was the beginning of wisdom for this swamp bunny.

By the way, we have decided, after much reflection, to drive, rather than fly, from Lake Chapala to Santa Fe via Highway 15 and Nogales and across Arizona from Tucson to Santa Fe so Dawg will not be able to try your green chile burgers between ELP and ALB but Dawg was wondering if there might be an equally intriguing burger joint in the Arizona and New Mexico wilds between Tucson and our final destination. Our origionally planned drive path we had contemplated through the dung heap Ciudad Juarez and the ugly cow-town of El Paso seemed too long for a short life so up the coast through Nogales and points east seemed more appropriate. Any good burger joints between Tucson and Santa Fe you could recommend without our having to bring along a stomach pump?
Back to top Go down
Don Cuevas
Amigo

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

PostSubject: Las Hamburguesas de Morelia   Sun 01 May 2011, 16:56

If you are seeking hamburgers in Morelia, I don't recommend Burger King. I do recommend Hamburguesas Richards, on Morelos Sur. Don't miss the french fries, either.

Now I'm trying to think of an upper scale restaurant I'd recommend. So far, nothing stands out in my memory, at least of those we've tried. Haven't been to Fonda Marceva yet but hope to remedy that soon. There are mid level places that are good.
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Sun 01 May 2011, 18:52

Don Cuevas wrote:
If you are seeking hamburgers in Morelia, I don't recommend Burger King. I do recommend Hamburguesas Richards, on Morelos Sur. Don't miss the french fries, either.

Now I'm trying to think of an upper scale restaurant I'd recommend. So far, nothing stands out in my memory, at least of those we've tried. Haven't been to Fonda Marceva yet but hope to remedy that soon. There are mid level places that are good.

Only once in several trips we have found Richard's open. Not sure what the formula is for that, perhaps if you want a burger for comida you are SOL and that it opens sometime long after I am looking for something to eat. The one time we found it open the burger was good and worth another trip, but not several only to find it closed. We keep thinking if we can find it open just once more we can inquire about their horario and what days they close. No such luck though. Now that we no longer live in the Centro it's not worth several more dry runs. Kind of on the other end of the Centro for us anyway, a bit of a walk.

There are several upscale restaurants that people recommend and that we haven't tried yet. Solar de Villagran is located in a place that is convenient for us and has never disappointed us in the least. Others that have tried it all agree it is good but then go on to ask, "have you tried such and such?" In those cases the answer is always "no, not yet." Based on what we know, if tomorrow Dawg was to show up I would suggest Solar de Villagran. It is upscale enough but prices are not prohibitive. They are about in line with many Ajijic restaurants of variable quality.

Fonda Marceva is a good medium-priced Mexican restaurant. I cannot guarantee everyone would like it but generally there will be something on their menu to please most anyone. I want to try them for breakfast now that I know they are open then. Wang Jiao continues to be pleasurable. We haven't been since we were there with you but in nearly three months we have known about it we have been there at least six times.

Don Cuevas
Amigo

Humor : incomprehensible

PostSubject: Fonda Marceva breakfast   Mon 02 May 2011, 07:24

Quote :
Fonda Marceva is a good medium-priced Mexican restaurant. I cannot guarantee everyone would like it but generally there will be something on their menu to please most anyone. I want to try them for breakfast now that I know they are open then.

Our friend, Ron went there for breakfast, and described it as nothing out of the ordinary. I was disappointed to hear that.

Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
JimRP
Amigo

Humor : Oblique

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Mon 02 May 2011, 12:38

RE upscale restaurants in Morelia, my favorite is Las Trojes. They are best for beef (either Mexican or US style), but also serve a variety of other dishes. It is very popular for comida with Mexican business people and often packed at comida time. Thus, I'd go early or make reservations. The same owner has Emilianos--not my favorite, but my wife likes it alot. That restaurant also has good beef, but a more extensive menu of other items including quite a few Italian dishes.

Another good option is Villa Montaña, a resort hotel on the hill in Santa Maria. If you dine at the restaurant, you have wonderful panoramic views of Morelia down the hill. The prices are among the highest in Morelia--you are paying for the surroundings and view as much as for the meal. Many of our friends here consider it a great choice for a "special occasion." The chef there knows his stuff and the food is usually excellent. One warning--their wine by the glass offers some excellent options, however given the tiny copas, it is extremely expensive.

We have also had some excellent meals at the dining room at the Hotel Soledad. It is set in a lovely courtyard, and generally we have found the food and the service to be first-rate.

When I think about an "upscale" restaurant, I always feel that includes an elegant setting. None of these will disappoint in that regard.

Jim

Back to top Go down
Hound Dog
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Tue 03 May 2011, 16:52

Well, must say you guys have given me reason to think Morelia and environs to be more intriguing than I had originally thought. Quite frankly, Dawg had not anticipated challenging discourse herebouts but that may be more a gauge of Dawg´s own shortcomings than anything else.

OK, already, so Morelia and environs are more interesting than at first apparent. What do you want from the redneck Dawg beyond acknowledgement of that, perhaps, fact or, as almost certainly, in fact, a fabulously painted room exists with the sole purpose of shining upon itself ?
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Tue 03 May 2011, 17:40

Sometimes some things just is what they is, Dawg, and they don't beg anyone's forgiveness or acceptance for being that way, nor are they all that exclusive either. You are invited to the party, but whether or not you come it is still a party.

Last edited by Peter on Tue 03 May 2011, 18:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hound Dog
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   Tue 03 May 2011, 17:52

Edited by poster for lack of clarity.

God almighty, when one confuses oneself, with whom is one communicating.

Dawg does look forward to returning to Lake Chapala and visiting some favorite spots in Michoacan´especially the Uruapan area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Pride   

Back to top Go down

Community Pride
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: ¡Bienvenidos! General Topics-
Jump to: