All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

INAPAM CARD

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hound Dog
Amigo

PostSubject: INAPAM CARD   Sun 03 Apr 2011, 13:30

Since this geezer is in his 70th year and living in the municipalities of both Chapala, Jalisco and San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas, one of my prized posessions is my INAPAM Card (Instituto Nacional de Personas Adultos Mayores)with which I receive 50% discounts on luxury bus travel between those two burgs ( a very large savings per trip) and, in Chiapas the city and state give me 50% discounts on such things as property taxes and my annual municipal water bill and just yesterday I got into the fabulous Palenque ruins for free without waiting in line with the jovenes so you might say I am sold on the benefits of this old folk´s discount benefit and have been somewhat perturbed that, unlike the municipality of San Cristóbal, the municipality of Chapala refuses to allow foreigners issued INAPAM Cards the legally required discounts on property taxes and (maybe) water bills offered Mexican nationals which, it seems to me, is a violation of federal anti-discrimination statutes and then I decide to have a look at the General Forum on Mexico Connect and some guy from Western Michoacan brings up the INAPAM Card among other issues which starts an argument among posters there as to whether or not we geezers should take advantage of those discounts since we are foreigners. Some posters posited unequivocally that we foreigners getting INAPAM discounts should be ashamed of ourselves for accepting these discounts supposedly because we are so financially well off or some such reasoning as that and here I was irritated with Chapala because they refuse to give foreigners the elderly discount because there are so many of us living within its borders and they feel they can´t afford to abide by the federal law. All is perspective.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo

Humor : Ironic

PostSubject: Re: INAPAM CARD   Sun 03 Apr 2011, 14:01

I am still almost a couple years short of eligibility for receiving the INAPAM card - if 60 is the required age. With all the drawbacks there is to aging, no matter how gracefully it is done, the one thing I thought we all had to look forward to was senior discounts.

That "well-off" gringo that considers it shameful to use the discount card must be speaking for themselves. I really don't consider myself all that wealthy on my retirement pension. Being here in Mexico rather still on the Sourthern California coast keeps me from being in the poorhouse.

As far as bus discounts, I believe there are only so many seats available on any given bus for the discounted seats. I would think it difficult to use the discount during a busy holiday period, and the policy of having limited seating avilable for those fares I don't believe using you discounts is really putting anyone out. If you were not entitled to the card it would not be issued to you. I hear Panama really has some of the best retiree discounts in Latin America. Supposedly you need not have reached any specific age but are merely "retired."

http://amigo.forumotion.com/
Don Cuevas
Amigo

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : incomprehensible

PostSubject: Re: INAPAM CARD   Mon 04 Apr 2011, 03:38

We were discussing the INAPAM card with friends over dinner. One pointed out that it wasn't the government that gave the discount but private enterprise. But now I learn from Hound Dawg's post that sometimes water bills and property taxes may or may not be discounted by local government. It's all at the discretion of the municipality.

Our dinner guest lives here part time and was mostly aware of the 50% discounts on inter city bus lines. We are not concerned with water bills, as our monthly water cost is only $70 pesos.

As for whether we gringos deserve to receive the discounts or not, my answer is that if anyone feels undeserving, they shouldn't avail themselves of this benefit. Personally, I use it whenever I can, with the exception of the Mexico City Metro. Although we could use it for free, I don't think it's worth the hassle to save 2 or 3 pesos. If I lived there and used the Metro every day, I might take advantage.
Back to top Go down
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/
Hound Dog
Amigo

PostSubject: Re: INAPAM CARD   Mon 04 Apr 2011, 10:43

Quote :
As for whether we gringos deserve to receive the discounts or not, my answer is that if anyone feels undeserving, they shouldn't avail themselves of this benefit. Personally, I use it whenever I can, with the exception of the Mexico City Metro. Although we could use it for free, I don't think it's worth the hassle to save 2 or 3 pesos. If I lived there and used the Metro every day, I might take advantage.

Well said. We have lived in Mexico for a decade now and one of the great pleasures of being out of our native nanny nations (U.S. & France) and living here is that we don´t get preached to by those considering themselves holier than we except on some Chapala based forums in which we rarely participate. As you say, if one feels undeserving of the senior discounts one can forego the privilege. We, likewise, often fail to take advantage of the discounts at museums and such because we often forget to carry the cards, but when we can save large amounts on such lengthy luxury bus travel as from Jalisco to Chiapas and get a 50% discount on property taxes, we never turn down what Mexico proclaims to be our right. There has to be something positive about turning 60.
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo

Job/hobbies : Importing Quality Mexican Products

PostSubject: Re: INAPAM CARD   Mon 04 Apr 2011, 13:55

Definitely a personal decision on whether one wishes to take advantage of various "older people's discounts" be it SOB or NOB. Personally I would rather live in denial that I am actually this old! Just last week, I used our paid membership in AAA to obtain better motel rates but after we returned home, I discovered that had we used AARP (not members due to the denial syndrome) we could have saved another $15 per night. On the other hand, when visiting Grand Canyon National Park, I was given the option of paying $25 entry for the vehicle or $10 for a Lifetime Senior Pass for all National Parks. Denial went out the window that day. The only positive factor for my ego was that the Park Ranger really questioned if I was old enough to receive the Pass.
Back to top Go down
http://Coming Soon: www.HaciendaMagnifico.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: INAPAM CARD   

Back to top Go down

INAPAM CARD
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: ¡Bienvenidos! General Topics-
Jump to: